Summer Symphony above West Marin

Summer Symphony above West Marin

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.03284°N / 122.62568°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 16, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Have Canon will travel

 
Sky above San Geronimo Ridge
Sky above San Geronimo Ridge
 
Northwest from San Geronimo Ridge
On San Geronimo Ridge
Was heading for a regular hike up nearby Big Rock Ridge only a few miles away. It's been  my favorite place to hike for years. Had  the camera as usual. Suddenly I decided to go considerably further, another 10 miles out to the Nicasio Reservoir area for something different. The closer I got the more I realized the coastal fog was rapidly rolling in. It was looking like the spontaneous change of plans were not such a good call.
A second change of plans brought me to the foot of San Geronimo Ridge several miles to the south. The fog was coming from the northwest. Although Nicasio Reservoir was already buried in fog San Geronimo Valley was mostly clear but the fog bank was hurtling toward the valley at well over 1,500' high and was threatening to overtake all the highpoints of west Marin County for the duration of the night within the next few hours.

A heavenly evening on San Geronimo Ridge.

 
On San Geronimo Ridge
On top of the ridge looking north
 
Fog moving over San Geronimo Ridge at sunset
Fog moving over from San Geronimo Ridge
The summer sky had had enough moisture for the last few days to manifest a fine array of cirrus cloud displays. They were still playing overhead as I started up the steep fire road to the top of the ridge. I was moving with some urgency since the oncoming fog had it's own agenda which did not include a guaranteed view from on high when I got to the top.
By the time I reached the highest point {1,380'} the late afternoon light was falling at a subtle angle across the landscape bringing out the shadowy contours and golden hues of the dry grass covered hills and ridges all around. Soon the first of the fog started arriving as the sky overhead continued it's cirrus symphony.
It turned out to be one of the most heavenly moments I call recall in all the years of local hiking.


The fog shrugs it's shoulders

 
Descending San Geronimo Ridge
Mysterious weather in the hills
 
Sun peeks through the fog
Fog overtakes the ridge
 
Descending San Geronimo Ridge
Sunlight reappears on the descent
After about 30 minutes on top the fog appeared to be getting  the upper hand as the sun and cloud play high above began to vanish in the grey mist. It would be dark soon anyway so I started back. As I headed down the descent flashes of sunlight began to break though the grey and remarkably within a short period of time the fog just retreated back to a still point. Apparently it was too lazy to advance further. After a dramatic entrance it had decided to call it a day and melt back into the silent darkness of rolling hills, pines and redwoods.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
silversummit

silversummit - Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Great collection

You have outdone yourself Windsor! These pictures are beautiful and really do convey an amazing scene.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Aug 19, 2013 9:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great collection

Thanks a bunch Kathy. It was one of those times when a lot of elements came together for dramatic photography.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.