Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.48590°N / 82.22500°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 21096 ft / 6430 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tagchagpuri is a glacier-covered mountain located in western part of Tibet. The mountain has two prominent summits. The 6430 m high East summit is a steep glacier-covered pyramid of granite rocks, while the 6302 m high West summit is less steep and accessible through a long ridge from the North. Both summits are separated by a 6098 m high glacier-covered saddle. The Tagchagpuri glacier on the northern side extends down to about 5500 m. On the south side the glacier ends at around 6000 m, covering only the top third of the approximately 1000 m high south face.

The Tagchagpuri mountain area displays a very diverse geology with schist scree in close neighborhood to granite formations, breccia rocks and metamorphic sediments. The region has signs of heavy tectonic folding, deep canyons surround the mountain.

Tagchagpuri seen from North (slide the picture a bit to see the main summit)

Getting There

Approach to Tagchagpuri form NorthApproach over the grassland north of Tagchagpuri
Access to North side of the mountain: Start in Kashgar, Xinjiang province, China. Travel to Domar, a settlement at km marker 830 of road 219 (Yecheng-Ali road). About 10 km south-west of Domar, a newly constructed gravel road forks from road 219 in south-east direction towards Yanhu. Follow this road until a flat pass with prayer flags at 33.18367°N 81.22588°E, then find a small track leading due east. The track leads over a pass of 5202 m at 33.51419°N 82.14132°E which is located within 5 km of the north-west base of the mountain. Leave the track there and find a suitable base camp anywhere near the mountain.
Views during the ascent to East summit:
Tagchagpuri north ridgeView of West summit
View from  the slope of Tagchagpuri north ridgeView to NW
view from the slope of Tagchagpuri north ridgeView to SE

Red Tape

Permit is required, inquire at Chinese Mountaineering Association.

Tagchagpuri with nomadsA herd of sheep and goat on the grass plain north of Tagchagpuri

Climbing conditions

Tagchagpuri glacierTagchagpuri summit pyramid and glacier

Best climbing season for Tagchagpuri is summer and fall. Then, weather is stable and snow conditions on the steep mountain are best. The summit ascent is steep and exposed. Tagchagpuri is easiest accessed from its northern side, where the glacier forms a smooth transition to the gravel hills. On the South face of Tagchagpuri, the glacier is very steep and more crevassed. From the north, Tagchagpuri can be climbed in a day trip from any base camp at the foot of the mountain.

Camping is possible anywhere, but depending on the season it can be difficult to find water unless going very close to the glacier. A deep canyon with a larger river flowing North is accessible at 33.54494°N 82.21062°E, altitude 5170 m.

At least in summer and fall, nomads live on the grass plain north of the mountain and the track leading within 5 km of the mountain is regularly frequented by small trucks.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains in TibetMountains & Rocks