Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.40054°N / 122.07054°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Additional Information Elevation: 4072 ft / 1241 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Teepee Peak summit from the south
Teepee Peak summit from the south. Twin Sisters and Mount Baker on left.


Teepee Peak is the unofficial name given to a 4072' (732' prom.) high point located in the Cultus Mountains, about six miles northwest of Lake Cavanaugh, and 12 miles east of Mount Vernon. Teepee Peak gets its name from the distinctive shape of its summit - even when viewed from Everett and beyond, the 'teepee' shape is easily seen, rising above the otherwise plain-looking Cultus Mountains. 

It is important to point out from the start that Teepee Peak is not a good hiking destination. Even by the shortest route (which requires a permit), it is over 16 miles round trip to the summit. For this reason, a mountain bike (or possibly a motorcycle) is recommended for the bulk of the approach. 

While Teepee Peak will probably never top any peakbagger's list, it may be just the ticket for someone wishing to log some gravel road miles on the bike. Additionally, it would make a good early or late season ascent, when the more 'worthy' peaks are difficult to access. Who knows - you may even end up liking this area enough to bring your own teepee (or tent).

Getting There

Access point for Teepee Peak
Access point for Teepee Peak


To the best of my knowledge, there are at least three different access points for Teepee Peak (and possibly more). The route that will be described assumes that you do not own an off-road motorcycle, or have a Weyerhaeuser permit in hand. These optional routings will receive a brief description below. 

From the south:

From Arlington, follow SR9 north for 5.6 miles, and turn right on Finn Settlement Road. After a short distance, this road will turn into Granstrom Road. Follow Finn Settlement/Granstrom Road for 5.3 miles, then turn right on Lake Cavanaugh Road. Follow Lake Cavanaugh Road for 2.9 miles to an obvious yellow gate on the left (north) side of the road (Waypoint 284 on route map).


From the north:

From the south end of Big Lake (SE of Mount Vernon) on SR9, turn left onto Lake Cavanaugh Road. Follow the Lake Cavanaugh Road for 6.5 miles to an obvious yellow gate on the left (north) side of the road (Waypoint 284 on route map).

Route


Teepee Peak route map
Teepee Peak route map. Yellow line shows a shorter route, which requires a Weyerhaeuser permit to access. Blue line shows the start of a link (I believe) into the Walker Valley ORV area. Green line near summit shows a side trip to a viewpoint/camping area.


From the parking location, begin up the well maintained gravel road, making a left at the first intersection one-half mile in (this section of road not shown on USGS map). After another mile, you will arrive at another intersection, and you will begin to notice motorcycle trails associated with the Walker Valley ORV area (this may be a good reason to make this trip on a weekday). Stay to the right here, and follow the mainline for 2.3 miles to the intersection shown as Waypoint 281 on the route map. Turn right here, and follow the mainline 2.5 miles (this section is blessedly flat) to the intersection shown as Waypoint 280 on the route map. 

Waypoint 280 is where the 'Weyerhaueser Route' will link in (shown as yellow on the route map). I don't know how to get the appropriate permit, or how much they cost, so I will leave that up to you if you are so inclined to get one. Make a sharp left at the intersection, and get ready for a big climb. Follow the mainline, ignoring spurs, for 3.0 miles (gaining 1300' in the process), to a major intersection at 3351'. I included Waypoint 278 along the way (for the benefit of the gas-powered crowd), as there is a gate installed here (currently open). When I rode this route six years ago on my motorcycle, the gate was closed. Interestingly, it is a single-bar design, and I was able to slide my motorcycle under it.

From the intersection at 3351', take a left, and follow this well-defined spur for 0.7 miles to an intersection at Waypoint 277 on the route map. Turn right here, and follow this road around the east, then north side of Teepee Peak (ignore two minor spurs along the way). At Waypoint 276 (just northeast of the summit), keep your eyes open for a low quality scrambler's path leading off to the left. This path is nothing to crow about, but it does help a little bit. Follow the path steeply uphill for about 200' through light brush and second growth to the summit.

Teepee Peak west through south pano
Teepee Peak northwest through south pano

Cultus Mountains from Teepee Peak
Cultus Mountains from Teepee Peak. Interesting side note: In Chinook Jargon, 'cultus' means means 'bad, worthless, useless, ordinary, evil or taboo'. Silo Mountain on lower right side of photo.

Mount Pilchuck from Teepee Peak
Mount Pilchuck from Teepee Peak. Bald Mountain at bottom of photo, Frailey Mountain above Lake Cavanaugh. Wheeler Mountain, Olo Mountain, and Blue Mountain above Frailey Mountain.

Whitehorse and Three Fingers from Teepee Peak
Whitehorse and Three Fingers from Teepee Peak. Jumbo Mountain on left edge of photo, Salish Peak and Mount Bullon in center.

Teepee Peak south view
Teepee Peak south view. Stimson Hill and Mount Washington in center of photo.


Red Tape


I was surprised to not see a 'Discovery Pass Required' sign at the gate - perhaps it was torn down. You will need a Weyerhaueser permit if you take the shortcut route (yellow route) shown on the route map.

When to Climb


Almost anytime, unless we have low-elevation snow in the Puget Sound area. Snowshoes would probably be a good idea with a heavy snowpack. Avalanche hazards are minimal on this route.

Camping


Sunrise on Teepee Peak
Sunrise on Teepee Peak


There is an excellent camping location one-half mile southwest of the summit. It can be accessed by staying straight (left) at Waypoint 277 on the route map, and following the spur road to its end.