Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.18660°N / 121.67745°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 5680 ft / 1731 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Add Overview
Salish Peak
   

 Salish Peak is a small, pointed peak, situated on the south end of the Salish-Buckeye ridge and sits just a few miles to the southwest of Darrington, Washington.  Although not interesting enough by itself to be a destination climb, Salish serves as a nice side trip in combination with other peaks in the vicinity, e.g., Bullon, Buckeye and Ohio peaks.  Salish does offer some great views and gives a nice perspective of Three Fingers' NE side and lookout.  This peak could be done as a day climb but would better serve as an overnighter in conjuction with Bullon and or Buckeye.

Getting There

 From Arlington, take 530 east to Darrington.  Once in the city limits, take the first right onto Fullerton ave.  After four blocks, turn right again onto Darrington street and follow this as it turns into Squire Creek rd.  In just a few miles this road will end in a cul de sac parking area.

Route

 From the parking area, follow the trail for just over two miles before coming to the original trailhead marked as FS Trail #654.  In about a half mile from the trailhead sign you will come across another sign marking the Boulder River Wilderness.  A couple hundred feet beyond this is where you will want to make your way down to Squire Creek.  Things do get brushy near the creek, but if you are lucky you may stumble into a trail near this spot (N48 11.265 W121 38.664)  Once beyond the brushy creek drainage you should enter the lower end of the timbered arm where things open up and steepen.  Continue up the arm, keeping cliffy areas to your left and creek drainage to your right.  Near 3000', a cliff band will force you over toward the drainage where you can ascend on rock slabs or follow the brushy slope just to the left.


Granite slab at 3000' on Mount Bullon approach
Granite slab at 3000' on Mount Bullon approach


 Above this point things get brushy again, unless this route is done in early season with some snow pack. 

Squire Creek wall
 Finally, above 4000', the ridge opens up to rock and heather.

Salish Peak
Salish Peak and Three Fingers

 From this point you will want to head for Salish and aim for a notch just to the north side.  This will give you access to the west side of the ridge and a southward traverse to the base of Salish.  Now it's just a walk-up on heather slopes and boulders to the summit.
Salish and Three Fingers

Bullon Lakes
Bullon Lakes basin from Salish-Buckeye ridge

Red Tape

No need for parking permits for this trailhead.

When to Climb

Generally spring to late fall.  Some snow pack above 3000' might help.

Camping

Some bivvy sites on the west side of the ridge and down in the Bullon Lakes basin.

External Links

Add External Links text here.