Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 43.24000°N / 18.72139°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7651 ft / 2332 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Trnovacki Durmitor with its amphitheatre
Trzivka (2332 m)

When you come on Prijevor, the pass placed below the massif of Maglić (2388 m) and above the Perućica Canyon, you can enjoy in beautiful wide open mountain panorama. On the left side is Maglić, while on the right side, above the deep Suha Canyon and Suha Jezerina valley, Volujak long range is placed. Straight, behind the hill, your attention will attrack powerfull rocky massif. There is placed one of the most beautiful mountain lake in Montenegro – Trnovačko Jezero lake. Above its southern side dominate giant rocky massif with steep rocky slopes on which you can see the snow until the middle of the summer. That is Trnovački Durmitor. Trnovački Durmitor belong to beautiful MAGLIĆ / BIOČ / VOLUJAK / TRNOVAČKI DURMITOR / VLASULJA mountain range. For sure, that is one of the most beautiful mountain range and area in Montenegro.

That beautiful and impressive rocky mountain range has its two part, two rows. In the foreground, above the Trnovačko Jezero lake dominate impressive rocky wall called Trnovački Vrh (2241 m), which is connected with the back side of Trnovački Durmitor massif where are placed the highest peaks of that range and between them the highest one - Trzivka (2332 m), which is little beat unapproachable in comparison with Trnovački Vrh, which is wonderful viewpoint peak. Between Trnovački Vrh and Trzivka peaks is placed giant and very impressive rocky amphitheatre, which is until the middle of the summer cowered by snow. Inside of that amphitheatre you can really feel an incredible power and impressive outlook of Trnovački Durmitor massif.

The mountain range of Trnovački Durmitor is central and dominant range which connected the ranges of Maglić, Bioč and Volujak, situated around and behind of amazing Trnovačko Jezero lake. Impressive steep rocky slopes of Trnovački Durmitor add a special contribution to breathtaking beauty of that area.

Some mountain writers has a oppinion that Trnovački Durmitor is a part and peak of Volujak range, while many others wrote that Trnovački Durmitor is unique range for itself. No doubt, Trnovački Durmitor don't belong to Volujak range and represent a separate mountain massif.

Summit View

Maglic and Trnovacko Jezero lake from Trnovacki DurmitorSummit view

Tnovački Durmitor is placed in central area of MAGLIĆ / BIOČ / VOLUJAK / TRNOVAČKI DURMITOR / VLASULJA mountain range, so it has ideal position. From the summit of Trzivka (2332 m) and Trnovački Vrh (2241 m) you can enjoy in many outstanding panoramas. First of all, you can admire the beauty of impressive Maglić (2388 m) and devine Trnovačko Jezero lake in the form of the heart. Also, whole massif of Bioč range with its highest peaks of amazing Vitlovi group is perfectly visible. Finally, you can enjoy in view to Volujak and Vlasulja ranges, also to Zelengora and Suha Canyon which separate Volujak from Maglić.

Trzivka from Trnovacki Vrh

Routes Overview

Tnovacki Durmitor from Volujak
Trzivka
Maglic & Trnovacki Durmitor

The peaks of Trnovački Durmitor you can climb from Trnovačko Jezero lake. First, following the marked path, and second, going through the central part of the massif which is unmarked. First route starts by marked path behind the Trnovačke Kolibe lodges, where the marks goes to the right in direction to Bojanska Vrata pass. When you come out from the valley, continue the path which goes left entering in another, higher valley. After that the path goes straight and finally to the left ascending to the summit of Trnovački Vrh (2241 m).

The route through the central part of the massif which is unmarked, is not recommended, specially to those who don’t know the path, to unexperienced mountaineers and in the conditions after the rain, when the rocks can fall down. That route is very attractive, but you should respect info about the risk and try to be careful. On the crossroad to Badanj peak, before the Trnovačke Kolibe lodges, the path goes to the left in direction to rocky slopes of Trnovački Durmitor. In the middle part of that rocky massif exist another path which goes behind the cliffs on the left, then continue to the right to the central part of the massif, from there the path goes to the right below the cliffs and than to the steep grassy slopes below the cliffs. Here starts the rocky plateau which is cutted on the right side. Because of that you should find the path through the flora barriere going to the cutted edge visible above on the right side. When you find rocky path which looks unsafely, and the end of wider part of rocky terrace where the path starts to goes down, you should look the cliffs on the left below the summit, while here exist one entrance which after that looks like a cave. Coming out of that close place, you should start climb the rocks. It is important just to find the right course. Exist also the possibility to reach the summit through the entrance placed on the left of „cave entrance“, on the edge where the amphitheatre of the cirque is still visible. For the ascent through the rocky amphitheatre of Trnovački Durmitor you’ll spend about 2h – 2,5h by walk.

From Trnovački Vrh peak, which is a beautiful viewpoint, exist ridge connection to the highest peak of Trnovački Durmitor range, to Trzivka peak. On the central part of the ridge is important to go right, and than before the summit notice entrance between the cliffs on the right, where goes safely path. From the summit of Trnovački Vrh you can descend to Bojanska Vrata pass for about 20 minutes. That pass is a famous crossroad of that area, from where you can continue your mountain adventure to Trzivka (2332 m), to Bioč (Veliki Vitao, 2397 m), to Stabna Valley, to Vlasulja peak as a highest peak of Volujak range, and finally back through the valley to Trnovačke Kolibe lodges.

Getting There

Trnovacki Durmitor

From Montenegro

Podgorica - Nikšic - Plužine - Stabna - Trnovački Durmitor

Podgorica - Nikšic - Plužine - Mratinje - Trnovacko Jezero - Trnovački Durmitor

From Serbia

Belgrade (Beograd) - Loznica - Mali Zvornik - Zvornik - Višegrad - Tjentište - Prijevor - than by walk to Trnovačko Jezero lake (shortest approach) - Trnovački Durmitor

Belgrade (Beograd) - Ljig - Cacak - Užice - Zlatibor - Nova Varoš - Prijepolje - Pljevlja - Ðurdjevica Tara - Žabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa - Plužine - Stabna - Trnovački Durmitor (longer approach)
Trnovacki Durmitor above Trnovacko Jezero lake


Belgrade (Beograd) - Ljig - Cacak - Užice - Zlatibor - Nova Varoš - Prijepolje - Pljevlja - Ðurdjevica Tara - Žabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa - Mratinje - Trnovacko Jezero - Trnovački Durmitor (longer approach)

From Bosnia and Hercegovina

The M-20 highway from Foca/Srbinje to Gacko, which crosses through Tjentište, is the starting point for the approach to these peaks.
It can be reached by following the M-5 highway easy out of Sarajevo.

Trnovacki Durmitor above Suha Jezerina valley
Maglic & Trnovacki Durmitor from Prijevor plateau
Tnovacki Durmitor

Camping

Before and after climbing of the peaks of TRNOVAČKI DURMITOR range, you can freely camping on many places around and below the mountain. First of all, you can camping near Trnovačko Jezero lake, than in the Stabna Valley near Veliko Stabansko Jezero lake and Malo Stabansko Jezero lake. For sure, grassy plateau arround the Trnovačko Jezero lake is the best and optimal place for camping before and after climbing of Tnovački Durmitor peaks.

Trnovacki Durmitor from Trnovacko Jezero lake



Meteo Info

The weather conditions before visiting TRNOVAČKI DURMITOR range you can check on Vreme Yubc Net web site for Plužine town.

Red Tape

No extra fees.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.