Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.14803°N / 115.42812°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Anchor Above Fishbreath
Anchor Above Fishbreath

Easily visible from the First Pullout and thus fairly easy to get to, Tuna and Chips Wall has the longest routes of the crags accessed from the First Pullout. Many of the routes, which can get up to 250', are two pitches, but some climbers do them in one with a 70m rope. Routes that go to the top of the crag come with the benefit of a walkoff option. Because the routes face south and west, this can be a good winter destination.

With a selection of trad, sport, and toprope routes ranging from 5.3 to 5.10, Tuna and Chips wall has something for just about everyone. Many Vegas-area climbers learn to lead on Chips and Salsa, a two-pitch 5.3.

The coordinates given are approximate and are mainly for use with the interactive map. With the photos and directions here, you should have no trouble finding the crag.

View from atop Tuna and Chips Wall
View from atop Tuna and Chips Wall

Getting There

From SR 159 west of Summerlin, turn onto the one-way Scenic Drive of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area. Drive about a mile to the First Pullout. There is ample parking, but this lot can fill up quickly. It often has a jammed, circus-like atmosphere in the afternoons.

Hike down into the wash below, taking the left trail fork as you go. In the wash, go left. A side canyon on the right appears shortly. Go into it and then scramble up boulders and gullies (Class 3-4) until you reach the base of the wall. If you located the crag before hitting the trail, you should have no trouble actually finding it. Give yourself 10-15 minutes for the approach.

Tiger Stripe Wall and Tuna and Chips Wall
Tiger Stripe Wall and Tuna and Chips Wall

Routes

From left to right as one faces the wall:
  • The Minnow (5.8)-- toprope, 30', not on the wall proper but on a separated boulder.
  • Sierra Club Tower (5.6)-- toprope, 40', same formation for The Minnow.
  • Dolphin Safe (5.7 R)-- trad/sport, 1 pitch, 110'.
  • Tuna and Chips (5.7 R)-- trad, 1 or 2 pitches, 230', the face left of the huge split in the wall, some bolts.
  • Albacore Man (5.8 R)-- trad/sport, 1 pitch, 100'.
  • Chips and Salsa (5.3)-- trad, 2 pitches, 250', basically follows the huge split.
  • Waterstreak (5.8 R)-- trad/toprope, 1 or 2 pitches, 230', first pitch is the namesake feature, second joins Tuna Cookies, some bolts.
  • Tuna Cookies (5.7 R)-- trad, 1 or 2 pitches, 230', some bolts.
  • Chips Ahoy (5.9)-- trad, 2 pitches, 250', some bolts.
  • Fishbreath (5.5)-- trad, 1 pitch, 120'. Many comment that this feels easier than Chips and Salsa. I would say they are about the same but that the upper end feels more exposed. The rock is really soft here, and an all-passive lead is recommended. Bolted chains for anchors up top.
Tuna and Chips Wall-- Left Side
Tuna and Chips Wall-- Left Side

Tuna and Chips Wall-- Right Side
Tuna and Chips Wall-- Right Side

Sierra Club Tower/The Minnow
Sierra Club Tower/The Minnow

Fishbreath (5.5)
Fishbreath (5.5)


Red Tape

$7 per day entrance fee. More about fees and passes.

Hours the Scenic Drive is open:
November through February 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
March  6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
April through September 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
October  6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Note: these hours are subject to change.  To be safe and sure, contact the park before visiting.


Don't climb after a strong rain. The rain weakens the rock, making it break easily.

It's illegal to install new bolts in the wilderness areas though you can replace existing ones. I think the same holds true for non-wilderness areas now, but if in doubt, please contact management using information from one of the links in the last section.

When to Climb

Fall through spring.

Camping

There are no campgrounds off the Scenic Drive in RRCNCA. There is a campground outside it, though; see here for more details.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.