UN 3330 "Little Cat Mountain"

UN 3330 "Little Cat Mountain"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.19080°N / 111.0721°W
Additional Information County: Pima
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3330 ft / 1015 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 Little Cat Mountain  Summit"Little Cat Mountain" Summit; Golden Gate Mountain in background

While not nearly as striking as its larger sibling to the southeast, Cat Mountain, UN 3,330, nicknamed “Little Cat Mountain,” is a scenic and rustic little peak in the Tucson Mountains west of Tucson, Arizona. Cloaked in a prickly blanket of Sonoran Desert flora, including Cholla and Saguaro, this close-to-town will bring delight to those willing to push their way to the summit.

Unmarred by a formal trail, the hiker must brave a steep, rocky and very faint footpath through vampire desert plants to reach the top of “Little Cat Mountain.” A surprisingly airy perch greets the visitor to the apex of this petite desert peak: The western slopes of “Little Cat Mountain” drop abruptly to the floor of the Sonoran Desert, while hot desert air rushes up to the summit block.

Views from the top include the Gates Pass area peaks Golden Gate Mountain and Bren’s Benchmark, but the best treat of all is the gnarly hulk of big sibling Cat Mountain rising from the desert floor to the southeast.

AZ Rank: 4,765th highest peak in Arizona
Prominence: 420 feet
USGS Quad: Cat Mountain
Trails Illustrated Map: #237 Saguaro National Park

Getting There

Gates Pass from  Little Cat Mountain Gates Pass
Looking up at  Little Cat Mountain East side




Tucson Mountain Park resides 13 miles to the west of Tucson, Arizona in Pima County. The park can be reached via Gates Pass Road or by taking Ajo Road to Kinney Way.

 Little Cat Mountain  Getting There Map

Red Tape

 Little Cat Mountain  from desert below"Little Cat Mountain" from desert below
 Little Cat Mountain  from west of  Los Gatos Pass "Little Cat Mountain" from west of "Los Gatos Pass"



There is no entry fee for Tucson Mountain Park. The park is open daily 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Click here for full rules governing use of Pima County Parks.

Camping

Stand of SaguarosStand of Saguaros
Looking down to the desert floorLooking down to the desert floor

The only nearby campground is the 130-site Gilbert Ray Campground, located in Tucson Mountain Park.

The proximity of “Little Cat Mountain” to the Tucson Metro area means lodging options are virtually unlimited. Visit the Trip Advisor site covering Tucson, AZ, for more information about area accommodations.

Weather & Seasons

Airy Summit PerchAiry Summit Perch
Sonoran Desert ChollaSonoran Desert Cholla


As with most lower elevation hikes in the Tucson area, hiking "Little Cat Mountain" would be most comfortable in the fall, winter or spring. March and April are primo wildflower viewing months.

Summer temperatures in this part of the Sonoran desert can be worse than uncomfortable; they can be downright dangerous! According to the United States National Weather Service, the record high temperature for Tucson, Arizona, set on 26th June 1990, was 117 degrees Farenheit / 47 degrees Celsius.

MonthAvg HighAvg LowRain
January64.5 F38.9 F0.99 in.
February68.4 F41.6 F0.88 in.
March73.3 F45.1 F0.81 in.
April81.5 F50.5 F0.28 in.
May90.4 F58.6 F0.24 in.
June100.2 F68.0 F0.24 in.
July99.6 F73.4 F2.07 in.
August97.4 F72.4 F2.30 in.
September94.0 F67.7 F1.45 in.
October84.0 F57.0 F1.21 in.
November72.3 F45.1 F0.67 in.
December64.6 F39.2 F1.03 in.

Zone Forecast for Tucson, AZ

External Links

Tucson Mountain Park

PDF Map of Tucson Mountain Park


 Little Cat Mountain  summit, big sibling in background"Little Cat Mountain" summit, big sibling in background




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tucson MountainsMountains & Rocks