Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.05039°N / 107.75837°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 22, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering

A fun traverse on the Mesa before the snow flew...

11063 Summit - Mesa CountyHeading to 11063


UN 11063
Mesa County
Chalk Mtn Quad

11010 - the next goalHeading to 11010


UN 11010
Delta/Mesa County Line
Leon Peak Quad

Green Mountain, 10,802 (D.N.S.)
Delta County
Leon Peak Quad


Stats:
12 miles +/-, 2000' gain +/-, 6.5 hours

Partner: Greg, the Big Man

We had our sights sights set on getting the two ranked peaks (11063 and 11010) and then traversing south to get Green, but started later than we wanted and were slowed by the north and east facing snow slopes more than we expected. Coupled with family obligations, two was it.

We left Hotchkiss and drove up the Leroux Creek access to the Grand Mesa. LOTS of hunters around up there this time of year. We drove to the beginning of TR 128, heading towards Reynolds reservoir. Easy walkin'. At the Reynolds/Ella reservoir trails intersection (1 mile from the TH), we went north towards Ella on the ATV track. Took that for a while until we needed to branch off and head more NNE, where the bushwhacking began. Very easy bushwhacking, though.
We walked into some light marsh, where the P.O.D. took place. Thankfully, it was a blistering 40 degrees, so being wet to my scrotum wasn't bad. We continued on through the woods, heading NNE, enjoying some fine talus-hopping and pleasant walking in the mostly open terrain. Over to the south slope of 11063, and another 250' of gain brought us to the summit. Found a register from someone who's last name rhymes with carrot, and someone named Nolan. Quite a few hunters, too. Then off, heading SW and then due west along cattle tracks, game trails, large basalt boulders and more talus-hopping. Gorgeous area. Saw another hunter, but no one else. Made the SE slopes of 11010, and took that to the summit area. No register. Left a triangle-shaped rock turned E/W, and decided we were out of time for Green Mountain, so we headed down and towards Reynolds Reservoir. We circled that, and picked up the ATV track on the SE side of the reservoir, following that back to the car. No mosquitoes! Amazing how much better the Grand Mesa is without those bloodsucking *******s. The truck thermometer said 55 degrees at 9900'. Nice weather!

Resource:

Lists Of John

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.