Willow Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.81080°N / 111.7644°W
Additional Information Route Type: long hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Long walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To reach the Willow Creek Trailhead, take the Mona exit (exit 236), and drive west into Mona. Turn south (left) and Highway 91 and drive to Cemetary Lane. Turn east (left) on Cemetary Lane, follow it under the freeway, and proceed to Willow Creek. The dirt road follows Willow Creek to the trailhead. The last part of the road is rough for cars.

Willow Creek Route

Route Description

The Willow Creek trail is a good alternate route to Mt. Nebo. It is pretty well defined and mantained, but it usually isn't a crowded trail. From the trailhead, follow the trail along Willow Creek. The trail eventually circles up a forested slope and around a huge natural ampitheater. The trail follows the ridge after the ampitheater and joins up with the Andrews Ridge Trail near timberline. This is a nice route, and the trail is pretty well defined.

It is a long day hike, especially if you plan on reaching the north summit, so some may want to camp one night. There are some small campsites on the ridge with good views. There is no water on the mountain after the snow melts, so carry plenty. There should be snowbanks near the timberline until early July in most years.

The elevation gain to get to the south summit is about 5200 feet.

Looking east at the south...Looking east at the south summit.




Essential Gear

Take all the normal hiking gear. Consider taking an ice axe before late June.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.