Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.75270°N / 110.7126°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12706 ft / 3873 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Yard Peak is a rugged summit in the High Uintas Primitive Area of north-eastern Utah. The peak is located at the southern end of the ridge which divides the east and west forks of the East Fork Bear River drainage.

A hike to the summit of Yard Peak is best done as a multi-day backpacking trip. A campsite in the vicinity of Allsop Lake would be both very scenic and closely situated to Yard Peak. There are also numerous locations for camping futher north along the approach trail, but these would involve a correspondingly longer summit day. The peak could also be climbed as a very long day hike.

This peak is a neighbor of The Cathedral, which lies ±2 miles along the ridge to the north of Yard Peak. From the summit are excellent views into the Allsop Lake basin to the east, and the Priord/Norice Lake area to the west.

With 1,126 feet of prominence, the peak ranks as #33 on the list of Utah 12,000+ foot peaks with 300+ feet of prominence, as compiled by Scott Patterson.

Yard Peak is located in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.

USGS Quad:
  • Red Knob, Utah (1:24k)


    Getting There

    The shortest approach to Yard Peak is by way of the Allsop Lake trail, which begins at the East Fork Bear River Trailhead.

    To access the trailhead take Utah State Highway 150, heading either south from Evanston, Wyoming, or north from Kamas, Utah. Approximately 0.4 miles south of mile marker 49 a gravel road leaves the highway on the east. From Highway 150 drive 1.8 miles, then turn right at the sign indicating the East Fork Bear River Trailhead. Continue another 4.3 miles beyond the sign to a fork in the road. The right fork enters the East Fork Bear River Boy Scout camp; take the left fork and proceed another 0.5 miles to the trailhead parking area. The trail begins behind the vault toilet at the south end of the parking area.

    The dirt road from Highway 150 to the trailhead is well graded and passable by virtually all passenger vehicles when dry.

    Routes

    Refer to the Routes section for details on route(s) to ascend the peak.

    Red Tape

    The trailhead is located along the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway. All motor vehicles parked in this area must display a valid recreation pass. These passes may be purchased at numerous self-service locations along Highway 150.

    Fees are $6.00 per day, $12.00 per week, or $45.00 annually.

    When To Climb

    The normal summer hiking season in the Uintas runs from July through September, but may vary considerably depending upon the previous season snowpack and the first significant snowfall of the season.

    Camping

    For a climb of Yard Peak most hikers will want to set up a backcountry campsite in the vicinity of Allsop Lake. There are also many excellent locations for camping all along the trail to Allsop Lake.

    There are numerous established campgrounds located along nearby State Highway 150. The campgrounds nearest the trailhead include (from north to south):
  • East Fork
  • Bear River
  • Stillwater
  • Hayden Fork
  • Beaver View

    Mountain Conditions

    Links to local weather, road conditions, and fire information can be found on the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest website.

    The National Weather Service also provides a forecast for the region.


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.