Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.11363°N / 115.70837°W
Additional Information County: Elko
Additional Information Elevation: 8135 ft / 2480 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Adobe Range HP from Coal Mine RoadAdobe Range HP from Coal Mine Road.


The Adobe Range High Point has as elevation of 8,135 feet and is located 20 miles north-northeast of Elko in northeastern Nevada. With a prominence of 2,075 feet, it is included on the list of Nevada’s 172 prominent peaks.

The Adobe Range is a minor mountain range of typical sagebrush steppe vegetation, trending in a general north-south direction. Most of the Adobes are a checkerboard of public (Bureau of Land Management) and private ownership. This pattern is attributed to the Pacific Railway Act of 1862, where the federal government gave railroad companies free land in alternating sections as an incentive and a means to finance the overwhelming task of linking east with west by rail. Although more than half of the hiking route to the high point – including the summit itself – falls within privately-owned lands, there are at this time no issues with access. Please always treat the lands, regardless of ownership, with respect.

The Adobe Range is home to one of the largest wintering antelope herds in the state, so there is a very good possibility of seeing antelope here if you come before the vegetation dries in the summer heat and the antelope migrate north. This area is also habitat for mule deer and other species of wildlife.

There is a small rock pile vice a cairn on the summit. Interestingly, a prominent cairn graces the false summit to the northeast. Not sure why it’s there, it just is. A register enclosed in a glass jar is tucked into the rock pile. Considering its close proximity to Elko, I was very surprised to see that the register, placed there in July 1997, had a grand total of five entries: three in 1997 when the register was placed, one in September 2001, and one in May 2006.
Adobe Range HP summit viewSummit view to NE.
Adobe Range HP summit view Summit view to S.
Adobe Range HP summit view Summit view to SW.

Getting There

Coal Mine CanyonRoad through Coal Mine Canyon.

From I-80 east of Elko, take the Ryndon interchange (exit 314), turn and head north on Coal Mine Road for 8.6 miles; veer left at the Y-intersection and proceed northwest for 6.2 miles, entering Coal Mine Canyon; turn left at the intersection onto the Jeep trail and head west for 2.7 miles. You might be able to get by without 4WD on this stretch but will need high clearance. Park at the end of the two-track road on the ridge northeast of the high point. Please drive with caution as there is open rangeland in the area.

Here are some topo maps for reference which cover the driving route from the Y-intersection and the hiking route.

Adobe Range HP access route (1/3)Route map 1 of 3.
Adobe Range HP access route (2/3)Route map 2 of 3.
Adobe Range HP access route (3/3)Route map 3 of 3.

Route

From the end of the Jeep trail, head southwest staying along the north side of the ridge. The elevation gain for the first three-fourths of a mile is slight and gradual. Staying well below the rock formations at the top of the ridge to your left, shoot for the saddle that will come into view as you gain elevation. Once you gain the saddle, transition to the south side of the ridge and continue southwest just below the rocky ridgeline. The first prominence south of the saddle is a false summit. The next prominence, to the southwest, is your objective.

The majority of the route is Class 1 with some Class 2 mixed in near the end of the route where the terrain becomes increasingly rockier. Although there is no trail, route finding is not difficult and the terrain provides good footing for the most part. There are some areas of fairly dense vegetation, including sagebrush that you’ll have to contend with, but it doesn’t qualify for even minor bushwhacking. Overall, a simple route with just enough rocks thrown in at the end to make it somewhat interesting.
Route distance is 1.75 miles one-way with a net elevation gain of 889 feet.
Adobe Range HP route viewRoute view 1.
Adobe Range HP route viewRoute view 2.
Adobe Range HP route viewRoute view 3.

Red Tape

BLM regulations apply. The driving route requires the use of public access roads through private lands; please stay on the access roads.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the area. Dispersed camping on BLM land is permitted at no cost for a maximum of 14 days at the same location.

Food & Lodging

There is a small gas station/store in Ryndon. Gas is likely expensive there, so it’s probably better to fuel up in either Elko to the west at the Maverik station (on the corner of Idaho St. and 11th St.) or Wells to the east at the Flying J near the I-80 interchange. Elko and Wells both offer adequate food and lodging.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.