The celebrated hand traverse
First ascended by the legendary Bentley Beetham, Corvus is a classic 8 pitch British Diff ***, situated on Raven Crag in Borrowdale. The route provides interesting and varied climbing on clean and polished Borrowdale volcanic rock.
Route finding is straight forward with good protection throughout. However, it is slow to dry in damp conditions, though with carethe route is known to go all year.
As one of lakelands more popular multi pitch trad routes it really does pay to arrive early.
View to Borrowdale from the top of Corvus showing the approach
Raven Crag is situated in the glaciated valley of Coombe Gill in Borrowdale (284 114). It is approached from the Keswick to Honister road from the lane running up to the valley from Mountain View cottages.
Parking can be found on a grassy area about 500m up this lane. From here follow a path on the left over stile and up towards Coombe Gill.
Go through a stile and then head left off the main path to follow a smaller track towards Raven Crag which can be seen on the SW side of the Coombe.
Corvus starts at sweep of slabs to the left of Tyros Gully.
Top of Corvus final pitch
1. 20m start at the slabs and move up and right over a traverse line to belay at the back of the gully (often wet)
2. 16m Climb the left v groove on the left of the wall to a ledge
3. 10m Traverse left to the belay below the corner
4. 26m Climb the corner on great hold to an exposed chimney which leads to a large stance.
5. 35m Scramble right to the foot of the rib and then ascend this to another large stance below a steep wall.
6. 10m Move up and right and then follow the fantastic hand traverse to belay immediately at its exit.
7. 25m Climb the recess above to a large ledge anfd then follow the easy rib to a scoop.
8. 15m Climb the scoop to excellent belays at the top.
Descend the path heading down to the left behind the drystone wall to return to the start.
Single or twin ropes, helmet, hexes and nuts. Cams are useful for the traverse but not essential.
External LinksLake District Wetherline