First Flatiron - Baker's Way (5.3)

First Flatiron - Baker's Way (5.3)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98975°N / 105.29271°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.3 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Carved steps

Find the First and Second Flatiron climbing access trails leaving from Chautauqua park ranger station. Stay left at the junction at the base of the Direct East Face belay and continue up slope. The start of Baker's Way is at the fifth switchback after the steps carved out of the rock. Directly west, up the face, is the first pitch of Zigzag(5.7), another classic Flatiron route.


Route Description

Baker s Way
Baker s Way

Baker's Way starts by first climbing north up a small cove and onto the east face of the First Flatiron. Following the ramp will eventually intersect with P6 of East Face Direct Route. One can continue up the ramp to gain the North Arete or hop on the face for a variation to then finish the finale few pitches of East Face Direct route.

Essential Gear

Eyeballing the rap from the arete
Last pitch to the arete

Available protection is sparse. Long run outs are common. A good amount of slings and a few SLCDs are all that are needed. The rap down the west side of the summit requires a 60m rope. It can be broken into two sections with a shorter rope as long as one stays on the southwest face of the rappel.

Red Tape

There are no restrictions on the First Flatiron. Many of the surrounding areas have seasonal closures. Check here for a map of area closures or look here for a list of closures. There are hefty fines for not following the rules of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks.

External Links

Mountain Project
Boulder OSMP
Flatirons Climbing Council

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.