Franz Senn Hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 47.08611°N / 11.17028°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7044 ft / 2147 m

Overview

The Franz Senn Hut is located in the central Stubai Alps between the Kühtai / Sellrain Valley and the Stubai Valley. The hut is the best base for activities in the Alpein Group in the Stubai Alps.

If you are looking for a "romantic" hut experience, with candle light, wooden fire and other "off the grid" amenities, don’t be disappointed if you stay at the Franz Senn Hut. It is a luxurious lodge with all the comfort usually only a hotel will offer in the civilization of towns and valleys, a few thousand feet below the hut's elevation. The hut is providing shelter for about 170 individuals, equipped with a central heat source, washrooms with hot showers, conference room, restaurant and a cable car for material transportation from the trailhead to the front door of the hut.

I have enjoyed the stays up here in the skitouring season, don’t bring any food or beverages it’s available up here for reasonable prices, just sit down in the restaurant and be focused on planning trips and ski routes, and enjoy a comfortable time in the rugged Stubai Alps.

Getting There

From the Brenner Autobahn turn into the Stubai Valley and drive to the little town of Neutstift. In Neustift turn right (sign) towards the village of Milders, and follow a narrow but paved road to Seeduck. You are now entering the Oberbergtal, a romantic high alpine valley with summer farms and residences.

In the winter month the road is maintained till Seeduck. From here it is a 4 – 5 hour approach to the hut. About half way up the trail to the hut you can throw your backpack into the cradle of the cable car and take the last step to the hut with light gear. If you arrive at the hut let the host know you have some luggage to haul, and he will get it up for a reasonable fee.

In spring, depending on snow conditions, keep on going with your car on the road past Seeduck till you reach the Oberisshuette. There is a parking lot at the end of the road right next to the cable car. Don’t forget to pay the parking fee (parking meter) and the hike to the hut is only 1-1/2 hours from here.

Accomodation & Fees

The hut provides rooms with about 80 beds and bunkrooms with 90 mattresses.

Fees for overnight stay (2006) (if you are not a member of the Alpenverein)

Bed, 2 persons/room..........EU 28.18
Bed, multiple bed room.......EU 21.18
Bunkroom........................EU 16.45

In addition you can order your meals “a la carte” or optain “half board” which is around EU 29.00

The meals are plentyful. If you go with “half board” breakfast is served between 6:30 and 7:30, it is a humungous buffet with cheese, sausage, cereal, fruits, yoghurt, tea and coffee. The dinner is a 3 course menue with soup, main dish and desert. You are able to pack a snack and fill your bottle from the breakfast buffet for a midday snack. (I was gaining weight staying up there for a few days!)

Members of the “Alpenverein” are receiving rebates on overnight fees.

The hut provides a luxurious ski storage room. This one is fully heated and has boot dryers for at least 150 pair of boots.

Season -- when is the hut open?

Summer season is from mid June to the first weekend in October

Winter season is from mid February to mid May

A primitive winter shelter is open for visitors between seasons. It provides 12 bunk beds.

Activities

Winter/Spring


Ruderhofspitze >> << Knotenspitzen




The area receives usually high amounts of snow precipitation during the wintertime. Many of the approaches to peaks and skiing slopes are steep and often prone to high avalanche risks. Later in the season, when the snow settles and the sun creates a better snow pack situation the area around the hut provides gnarly ski ascents. For this reason the hut will open for skitouring season by mid February and stays open till mid May.

Ski touring routes & peaks (most difficult ones)

Peak

Elevation - meter

approximate climbing time required

Östliche Seespitze

3473

4:30

Westliche Seespitze 3416 4:00
Lisenser Fernerkokel 3299 5:30
Schrandele 3393 6:00
Knotenspitze 3082 3:30
     


The mentioned routes are very steep, often with a bootpack over a rocky ridge to the peak, glaciated areas with crevasses, and prone to avalanche danger.


Certain ski touring areas and approaches around the Franz Senn Hut are very steep. If snow layers are not safe and not setteled, many of the steep approaches bear high avalanche dangers.

(Avalanche at Alpeiner Kräulferner, beneath Östliche Seespitze, April 30, 2006 >>

larger image




Summer:

Hiking, Climbing and Classic Mountaineering. Many of the approaches to peaks are glaciated. The trips from the hut are long and most of the peaks are reaching elevations above 10,000 feet. Be prepared for thin air and bring plenty of water for re-hydration due to the elevation.

Popular peaks

Peak

Elevation - meter

approximate climbing time required

Ruderhofspitze

3473

6:00

Wildes Hinterbergl 3288 4:00
Östliche Seespitze 3416 4:00
Hinterer Wilder Turm 3294 3:45
Rinnenspitze 3003 2:30
Lisenser Fernerkokel 3299 5:00
     
 

Hiking options to close by huts / hut to hut hiking trips

Hut

Elevation - meter

approximate hiking time required

Amberger Hütte

2135

6:00

Postsdamer Hütte 2020 6:00
Regensburger Hütte 2286 4:00
Starkenburger Hütte 2229 6:00
Adolf Pichler Hütte 1977 6:00
     

Recourses & Other Information

The Hut’s website (in German only)

www.franzsennhuette.at

This site offers weather information and a panorama webcam sending updated immages every 20 minutes from the area around the hut.

Phone & Reservations (recommended for sunny weekends)

0043/5226/2218 (from Europe)
01143/5226/2218 (from the US) (they speak English)

office@franzsennhuette.at (yes, they have internet at the hut)

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte Blatt 31/1
Alpenvereinskarte Blatt 31/2
Alpenvereinskarte Blatt 31/5
BEV - Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen Blatt 147
Freytag & Berndt u. Artaria KG Kartographische Anstalt Blatt WK 241

Skitouring Trip Report (external link to my privat webpage)

Östliche Seespitze

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Lukas Kunze

Lukas Kunze - Aug 24, 2006 5:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Getting there

If you get there by car, I strongly recommend to avoid the expressway ("Brenner Autobahn" - A12), because it is heavily tolled. Use the old Brenner road (182) instead. There is a bus connection from Innsbruck central station to Neustift-Milders (line "ST", about 1h) at the beginning of Oberbergtal. The bus ride costs 5€ (Aug 2006).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stubai AlpsHuts & Campgrounds
 
RinnenspitzeHuts & Campgrounds