Rinnenspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.08580°N / 11.14120°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9852 ft / 3003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

RinnenseeRinnensee

Rinnenspitze is one of the frequently visited mountains around Franz-Senn hut. Since you do not have to walk over glaciated terrain nor do you have to deal with climbing (the final ridge is easy and well secured), Rinnenspitze is climbed very often. I guess for most people Rinnenspitze is an alternative mountain which is climbed if the conditions are too bad or weather is not good enough to climb the main goal. Rinnenspitze is also a good mountain for testing your abilities if you' re not familar with such terrain.

Despite of the mass of people climbing Rinnenspitze, the mountain offers very beautiful views all over the place. Additionally the absolutely breath-taking Rinnensee on the bottom of the mountain is worth every minute of your visit. Since the ascent of Rinnenspitze is quite short (only 800m/2600ft of altitude difference) you' re not in a hurry and able to enjoy the great panoramas. Additionally there are some easy peaks worth a visit during descent.

The easiest ascent is a marked trail starting at Franz-Senn hut. The closer you get to the north-ridge the steeper the trail gets. After reaching the ridge there are some chains securing the ridge which is never harder than UIAA I (except of the first plate which may be UIAA II). The hole ridge is well secured but at some places quite exposed.

The people who did the first ascent aren' t know to me. Let me know if you have more information about the first ascent.

Climbing the ridgeOn the ridge


Maps and Routes overview

Rinnenspitze from Franz-Senn hutRinnenspitze

Maps:

Routes:

  • North-ridge from Franz-Senn hut
    Starting at Franz-Senn hut marked trail leads up to Rinnenspitze (signs starting at Franz-Senn hut). The closer you get to the ridge the steeper the terrain gets. After reaching the ridge easy climbing follows on a well secured ridge.

Panoramic views

On the final ridge to Rinnenspitze

Getting There

The best way to climb Rinnenspitze is by starting at Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft). To reach the hut you have to get to Neustift-Milders in the Stubai valley. There are several possibilities to do so:

  • By car:
    Expressway number A13 connects Innsbruck with Bozen/Bolzano (Italy). Leave the expressway at the exit "Schönberg/Stubaital" and follow road 183 to Neustift-Milders. From there a road leads up the Oberbergtal. At the end of this beautiful valley is a parkinglot. The parkinglot seems to be very expensive according to what I' ve heard. From here it is only about 1-1.5h to the hut. NOTE: If you are not in a hurry try to avoid the expressway between Innsbruck and the border to Italy, because it is heavily tolled. Use the old road 182 instead.
  • By train/bus:
    There are train connections to Innsbruck from Munich (Germany) and Bozen (Italy). From the Innsbruck central station about every hour a bus (line "ST") leaves to "Mutterberg Alm" in the Stubai valley. On the way it passes Neustift-Milders. The bus ride takes about one hour and costs about 5€. From Neustift-Milders you can hike the trail into the Oberbergtal and further up to the hut (about 4-5h). The hike is exhausting and the bend of the valley denies a view of the glaciers for a long time. But after about 1.5-2h you get to a corner and after passing it you have a perfect view of the glaciers.
What a place...On the way through Oberbergtal

Mountain Conditions

Webcam:

This is one of the webcams of Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft), which changes its direction every five minutes.

Weather:

  • www.wetter.com (Neustift im Stubaital)
  • Neustift im Stubaital is about 10km from Franz Senn-hut.
  • OEAV weather
  • Weather forecast of the austrian club of the alps (OEAV).
  • Avalanche report of Tyrol
  • Unfortunately this page is in german only.

    Red Tape

    There are no fees, permits or seasonal closures.

    Parking at the trailhead in the Oberbergtal is not free. I don' t know how much the price is, but I' ve heard that it isn' t that cheap...

    When To Climb

    Rinnenspitze is mostly climbed in summer. During the winter months I don' t think it is climbed very often since its slopes are very steep and there are more spectacular and not as dangerous mountains around Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft).

    Camping

    The best place to stay for a night is Franz Senn-hut (2147m/7044ft). This beautiful hut is located nearly perfect and offers every comfort you can think of (warm showers, plenty of food, ...). You find more informations about the hut at its page here on summit post or on the homepage of Franz Senn-hut (www.franzsennhuette.at).

    I don' t think that camping is forbidden, but if you do so, do it at some place not visible from the hut and leave nothing but footprints.

    External Links

    Page history

    26-27/Nov/2007
    • Page adopted
    • Page completely reworked
    24/Dec/2001



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Alpeiner BergeMountains & Rocks