Glacier Trailhead (WY)

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 43.42582°N / 109.5739°W
Additional Information County: Fremont
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7600 ft / 2316 m

Glacier Trailhead

The (New) Glacier Trail, also locally known as Forest Trail #801, begins at the parking area adjacent to Trail Lake Ranch. Three trails actually originate at the Glacier Trailhead, with each trail leading to popular areas within the Wind River Range. The Whiskey Mountain Trail and Bomber Basin Trail are the other two trails originating at the Glacier Trailhead.

Perhaps most significantly, the Glacier Trailhead marks the starting point for the eastern approach for Gannett Peak, the highest point in Wyoming and one of the most difficult State Highpoints to summit. From the Glacier Trailhead, the route to Gannett Peak is a long 25 miles away. Although the Glacier Trail route is longer than the western approach to the mountain, Glacier Trail tends to allow for a much shorter summit day, and as a result has higher chance of a successful summit ascent of Gannett Peak.

The Glacier Trailhead also marks a good starting access point for other mountains in the area. These mountains include Whiskey Mountain, Arrow Mountain, Talus Mountain (Peak 11695), Downs Mountain, and Torrey Peak.

NOTE: Another trailhead, known as the "Old" Glacier Trailhead, can be found from a short spur road just before reaching the "New" Glacier Trailhead parking area. However, due to the direct and potentially dangerous fording of Torrey Creek required, the Old Glacier Trailhead is typically only for equestrian and outfitter use, except during late Summer and early Autumn months while the creek water level is minimal. The Old Glacier Trail meets the New Glacier Trail (commonly just known as Glacier Trail) at the base of Arrow Mountain.

Getting There

FROM DUBOIS, WY:


1) Drive approximately 4.0 miles south along Highway 26/287 to Whiskey Basin/Trail Lake Road, within a block of crossing a bridge over Jakeys Fork.

2) Turn right onto Whiskey Basin/Trail Lake Road, and then take an immediate left. This road turns into Forest Road #411.

3) Continue following the road (Forest Road #411) for 9.2 miles until its end at the Trail Lake Ranch parking area. The trailhead for Glacier Trail, Bomber Basin, and Whiskey Mountain originates at this location.
Glacier Trailhead Parking AreaTrailhead Parking Area

No wilderness permits or parking permits are required. However, a trail register is at the kiosk located near the trailhead.
Glacier Trailhead KioskTrailhead Kiosk


The Whiskey Mountain Trail branches off, to the right, from Glacier Trail within 0.5 miles of the trailhead.

The Bomber Basin Trail branches off, to the right, from Glacier Trail within 3.0 miles of the trailhead.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Gannett PeakTrailheads
 
Downs MountainTrailheads
 
 
Arrow MountainTrailheads
 
 
Glacier TrailTrailheads