Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.00420°N / 107.7602°W
Additional Information County: Delta
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 10802 ft / 3292 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green Mountain , Grand Mesa and Adobe Badlands

Green Mountain is located on the south side of the Grand Mesa and is the dominant feature for residents of Cedar Mesa and Redlands Mesa. Access is primarily from Green Mountain Trail (an ATV or Mountain Bike) trail that runs between the Leroux Creek area and Surface Creek drainage area of Grand Mesa. There is no official trail to the summit. The summit has views of the West Elks, and distant views of the San Juan's and Elk ranges. There is a connecting ridge to the north of Green Mountain that connects to a sub peak locally known as "Little Green". A nice hike is to start from Bailey reservoir and head up Little Green, and around to Green as a loop which will be a total of about 7 miles with 1500 ft of elevation gain. This is very similar to the "Crag Crest" trail in feel.

Getting There

The best access is from Leroux Creek which is accessed from 3100 rd (3 miles west of Hotchkiss). 3100 rd turns to gravel after about 5 miles. From here it is 8 more miles to the forest service boundary. From the foreset service boundary it is about 5 more miles to Green Mountain trail. This road is intentionally closed by the forest service at the forest service boundary to vehicles until late May (memorial day). A passenger car is fine until the last couple miles of the forest service road.

Red Tape

This road is intentionally closed by the forest service to vehicles until late May (memorial day). This is a popular hunting area in the fall. Cattle are grazed in the summer in the area. The mosquitoes are horrible during June and July. At times there is no effective mosquito deterrent. This is a popular local ATV area.

Camping

Undeveloped camp sites are a plenty along the forest service road. Developed sites exist near HWY 65.

External Links

NWS Forecast for the area at 11,000 feet.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Delta County, ColoradoMountains & Rocks
 
Grand MesaMountains & Rocks