What's New On This Page?
November 3rd, 2004 - Initial setup of the page.
Kriz (kriz=cross) is a mountain, which you ascend passing by. Mountaineers, who come from Krnica over Kriska stena, ascend its summit and proceed to Pogacnikov dom (hut) or further to Stenar, others who were sleeping in the hut come up to its high ridge when going towards Skrlatica - and also visit its summit, and so on. Only in times of tour skiing season Kriz can be the ultimate goal of a tour.
The mountain has no high walls. It rises from high plateaus of Kriski podi and Na Rusju as a ridge, stretching between Stenarska vratca (notch), 2295m, on SE and the edge of Kriska stena (wall), 2375m, on NW. The summit is easily accessible, once you reach its high summit ridge. But reaching it from any of the three surrounding valleys is quite long. From the summit you have a nice view on the surrounding summits: Stenar, Triglav, Bovski Gamsovec and Pihavec, Planja and Razor, Prisojnik and Skrlatica group.
--> On the summit of Kriz - the view on Stenar.
For the general orientation see the Julian Alps
The east ascent starts in Vrata valley. The end parking place can be reached from Mojstrana in 2h walk, by car or by bus.
The south-west ascent starts in Zadnjica valley. The parking place can be reached from Trenta Valley in 30 minutes walk or by car.
The north-west ascent starts in Krnica valley. The end parking place can be reached from Vrsic pass road in 30 minutes walk or by car.
Julijske Alpe - Vzhodni del (Eastern part). Planinska zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
Julijske Alpe - Triglav. Planinska zveza Slovenije. 1:20000 - recommendable.
Kriz and its marked paths.
1. From Vrata valley -1. From Aljazev dom (hut), 1015m, through Sovatna (valley/ravine) on Dovska vratica (saddle), 2180m, on Stenarska vratica (notch), 2295m, and to the summit. Steep marked path. 4h.
2. From Vrata valley - 2. From Aljazev dom (hut), 1015m, to Bivouac IV, 1980m, to the edge of Kriska stena and to the summit. Steep marked path. 4h.
3. From Krnica valley. From the parking place in 30 minutes to Koca v Krnici (hut), 1112m, to the end of Krnica, over the Kriska stena (wall) and to the summit. Marked, over the wall exposed, ferrata. 4h.
4. From Zadnjica valley. From the parking place, 700m, to Pogacnikov dom (hut), 2052m, to the edge of Kriska stena and to the summit. Steep marked path. 5h.
For tour skiing route #2 is preferred. You can have a steep, demanding downhill also by the route #1. The variant of the route #2 in winter goes also towards Stenarska vratca (notch). For how to reach the valley below Stenarska vratca, see the Stenar ski tour description
! From below Stenarska vratca you cross slopes around Kriz north face and so reach the edge of Kriska stena and by the NW summit ridge the highest point. This is also the preferred downhill - very nice!
--> Ascending behind Stenar (left) towards Stenarska vratca (notch). Kriz is on the right.
The mountain is in the Triglav National Parc
, otherwise no limitations.
When To Climb
In summer and autumn - the best months are July to October.
For tour skiing the best months are March to May.
--> Skiing on the summit ridge of Kriz. Behind is Stenar, 2501m.
For weather see here
Even better site is wunderground
- here's the direct link to Kredarica station, 2515m (below Triglav summit).
Aljazev dom, 1015m, (04) 5891030, (031) 384011, (031) 384013,
Koca v Krnici, 1113m, (041) 654339,
Koca Zlatorog in Trenta valley, 622m,
Pogacnikov dom, 2050m, (051) 221-319,
Bivak IV na Rusju, open.