Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.77262°N / 99.74108°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9530 ft / 2905 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

La Calle means 'the street"; the feature that gives this mountain it`s name looks just like one, it is located near the summit and consists of an almost flat grassy area about 30 ft wide and 150 ft long lined by bushes and trees on both sides. Located inside the Parque Nacional Cumbres de Monterrey, this is a big mountain covered by pine forests that is part of the Sierra Madre Oriental wich lies mostly hidden behind lower ranges just south of highway 40 between the cities of Monterrey and Saltillo. It is easily recognizable as the tallest almost flat-topped mountain in the west-southwestern horizon from Montarrey or any of it`s surrounding peaks. This is a popular mountain specially for the overnighters There are two basic routes leading to the summit, Paso del Caballero and El Jonuco. The first one being the longest and more scenic one, but most people use the second one. Both are relatively easy hikes, the only difference being the lenght and the elevation gain, with El Jonuco being the shortest one.

Getting There

The approach to the mountain is via Highway 40. Driving west from Monterrey to either El Jonuco or Casablanca exits, at about the 37 and 45 Km markers recpectively then heading south . From Saltillo one drives east about the same distances to the same exits and then head south from there.

Red Tape

The trailheads are located in private property . The short route starts at the residential area called El Jonuco and you have to request permission at the entrance security station. The long route starts at the place called Casablanca and then goes through a little farm, it is not easy to get permission to go through there so most people go around it hiking along the dry riverbed and into the canyon.

When To Climb

Preferably during the cool months, from October through April.

Camping

Camping is allowed and there are several good places for that, one is at "El Cuervo" wich is located about half way up el Jonuco route next to a high cliff overlooking the Jonuco canyon, another one is right on "la calle" near the summit and there are more places along the paso del caballero route.

Mountain Conditions

You will need to inquire locally about current conditions.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains of Nuevo LeónMountains & Rocks