The hut is located at an exposed rib (end of the East-NortEast-ridge to Lenzspitze) between Hohbalm glacier and Fall glacier.
It has a height of 3.340 m and is third highest SAC-hut in Switzerland. You have a great view to all sights, to Grimsel and the Furka area, Saas Fee and Fletschhorn, Lagginhorn and Weissmies in the East; Egginer and Allalinhorn in the South and Täschhorn, Lenzspitze and Nadelhorn in the West. In the North you see at clear days the Grosser Aletschgletscher.
The old hut was built in 1902 and enlarged in 1943. This hut still exists. Next to this hut there is the new hut which was built in 1975.
The hut is the starting point to great mountains and climbs in the Mischabel group.
The hut is opened for 3 months in summer, it has 120 sleeping places (communal bunks).
A few years ago a new trail to the hut was created as the old one became dangerous because of rockfall. This new trail is a via ferrata with a ladder and some parts with a fixed rope.
How to get there
Saas Fee – Mischabel hut:
4 hours, a hiking trail at the beginning and a via ferrata at the end (600 m fixed ropes and a ladder)
Saas Fee - Hannig (gondola) – Mischabel hut:
3 hours, from point 2.900 m you go via the Schwarzhorn ridge, which is also secured by ladders and a fixed rope (via ferrata).
Routes from starting point Mischabel hut
1. Lenzspitze (4.294 m) via East-NorthEast-ridge: Rock difficulty max. IV- / 4 hours 30 minutes
2. Lenzspitze (4.294 m) via North-NorthEast-wall (Dreieselswand): Rock difficulty max. IV+ / 4 hours 30 minutes – 5 hours 30 minutes
3. Nadelhorn (4.327 m) via NE-ridge (normal route): Rock difficulty max. II / 3 hours 30 minutes
4. Dürrenhorn (4.035 m) via Nadel ridge (Nadelhorn, Hohberghorn): Rock difficulty max. III / 9-11 hours
5. Hohberghorn (4.219 m) via NE-wall: Rock difficulty max. IV / 3 hours 30 minutes – 4 hours 30 minutes
Telephon hut: +41 27 957 13 17
>Homepage Mischabel hut