Mount Yale Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 276
utahjimk

utahjimk - Jul 30, 2023 3:28 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2023

from Denny Creek trailhead  Sucess!

with Wasatch Mountain Club group.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 19, 2023 11:06 am Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2023

2 hours 25 minutes to the top from Denny Creek TH  Sucess!

Found this to not be too difficult. Good trail most of the way.

cmcalhoun

cmcalhoun - Jun 21, 2023 5:04 pm Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2020

Yale  Sucess!

Fun!

JThorne

JThorne - Feb 27, 2023 9:00 pm Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2009

Mt Yale  Sucess!

East Ridge

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Sep 1, 2022 5:13 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2022

So many stupid mistakes, but a 39:23 record from Summit to Denny Creek TH  Sucess!

https://www.strava.com/activities/7662482153
Being Unintelligent on Mt. Yale: Descent Record Nonetheless
Yes quick descent, BUT sunburn, hammered feet, hard fall, total bonk, & cramping.
Let's count the mistakes: 1) Attempting a big mountain loop like this while still sick 2)Getting a little sunburn yesterday and then forgetting sunscreen today. 3) Thinking 18oz of water would be enough for 4 hours of running on a hot day with scorching sun 4) Wearing a brand new pair of shoes I'd never tried before with a known flaw that was a bad match for today's activity 5) Forgetting to secure laces on summit leaving said shoes ridiculously loose (like 1" of back and forth play) for a blistering descent 6) Doing a tempo run a day and a half ago & then going hard again today. 7) Forgetting to take black wool arm sleeves off on the summit (that I only put on for sun protection) before starting down hard in to the heat. Yeah, I'm a dummy. I'm not THAT sick still, but it's enough to keep me uncomfortable, especially at night/trying to sleep and the big thing is how cloudy my brain is. Clearing some impaired thinking/judgment going on...as has been the case.
Felt ok on the way up aside from getting scorched by the heat/sun. Stopped quite a bit to explore and/or take pics. Put on arm sleeves to alleviate sunburn on arms. Tried to keep hat over exposed ear and neck as much as possible.
Heat/dehydration/fatigue started wearing on me pretty quick on the way down. I took a spill with a mile and a half to go and had a hard time re-gaining momentum after that. Barely made it to Denny Creek in one piece, & knew I should be done to avoid injury both to my feet and where my legs had hit on the fall and were cramping. Went straight to the creek to get water & bring my body temperature down as I was starting to cramp. Did 5 or so separate dips in the creek and stayed here quite a while. Finally decided I could walk a bit and ended up wog of shame-ing it down the road back to Avalanche/my car. In short, a day in the mountains! One big bonk a season probably has to happen at some point!
Other notes:
Met Tyler from Boston on summit & chatted for a while. Picked up a hitch-hiking CT hiker Kyle Burress in BV & took him & his dog to the trailhead ("What! People in Audi's or Porsche's never pick up hitchikers" lol). Afterward, met Kevin Cranney & his daughter who had just climbed Mt. Harvard & chatted for over an hour at Biggie's.
I forgot that these shoes had a toe box heat mold problem that made them collapse over the toes and be too firm---bad choice for a super steep, techy descent. PInky toe and both big toes bleeding and so painful. Heels on bottom of feet hot-spotted to death as well. This is by far the worst I've ever done to my feet in all my years as a runner. Future notes: On long/hard/technical efforts in the future always wear proven shoes. Also, slide heels back and secure laces to about 1/4" of play. Too tight causes blisters...too loose like today destroys toes and heels. Great day!

CMStinson - Mar 9, 2022 7:08 am Date Climbed: Aug 4, 2021

last 14er for this year  Sucess!

Our third of three 14ers on this trip. Not one we'd initially planned to do, but plans for others were washed out (literally). A great hike on the standard route, with fine weather the entire time.

edmdais1

edmdais1 - Jan 9, 2021 12:39 pm Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2020

Windy fall day  Sucess!

Windy as heck! My most elevation gain 14er to date.

edmdais1

edmdais1 - Jan 9, 2021 9:53 am Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2020

Windy fall day  Sucess!

Windy as heck! My most elevation gain 14er to date.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Nov 2, 2020 1:33 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2020

East Ridge  Sucess!

4th ascent, solo loop with PT 12505, Yale and Mascot from Avalanche Gulch trailhead.

BKiser90

BKiser90 - Jun 25, 2020 11:34 am Date Climbed: Jun 24, 2020

Beautiful Summer Morning on Yale  Sucess!

Slept at the trailhead and we were on trail by 4:30 am. Summitted around 7:30. We were the first to summit that day. Clear views all around. The trail was clear and easy to follow.

kteichert

kteichert - Jun 22, 2020 10:38 am Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2020

2nd scariest hiking moment of my life  Sucess!

We approached Yale from the south via the Colorado Trail. We got a late start after a sunset hike of Belford/Oxford. We started the hike around noon and were on the summit by 3:30. The winds were nill and one ridge over we could see snowstorms and dark clouds approaching. We sat and enjoyed the summit for a few minutes, then thought we should get moving since the storm was approaching. As we put on our gear again, we began to hear the buzzing of electricity all around us. We could hear it echoing off the rocks, and feel it throughout our bodies. Niko bumped me and it shocked both of us. I was shocked for a moment, as I was confused as to what was happening. Then it hit me, and I exclaimed, "Oh sh**!! We're picking up an electrical charge! We gotta get the f*** off this summit! Now!" We went straight off the summit ridge to the south. Following no trail, and just skipping down rocks and sliding down snow fields, we got about 300' down the face, when a big thunderous boom sounded behind us. Luckily we had lost a bit of the electrical charge, but Ember's hair was still standing on end a little. We scrambled down faster into the big gulch on the south face of the mountain. Finally we dropped about 1,500' in a matter of 5 minutes or so, and felt safe from not being the highest point on the ridge anymore. It began to blow and horizontal snow was pelting us as the thundercloud matured and unleashed it's wrath. We headed across the gulch to the opposite ridge and descended through the piƱon juniper forest to the large meadow. Feeling lucky we escaped that thunderstorm, we were finally able to breathe a little and laugh at what had just happened.

Walkoutnow

Walkoutnow - Jun 13, 2020 3:16 pm Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2020

Southwest slopes  Sucess!

Very nice trail, especially the first 2 miles or so through the trees. 4-5 creek crossings, gentle incline. After 2 miles it gets fairly steep up to the saddle. Fun little boulder hop to the summit. Was very windy all day, with gusts at 45 mph. Great day, other than that.

xDoogiex

xDoogiex - Jun 11, 2020 5:47 pm Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2020

Nice day  Sucess!

Nice day. Had a good pace up

mickeyCs

mickeyCs - Mar 27, 2020 7:17 pm

--

2019

Matt McCullough

Matt McCullough - Aug 21, 2019 8:12 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2019

nice training climb for 4200+ vertical  Sucess!

Started at 6:30 am from the Denny's Creek trailhead and was off the summit by 11:30 am. Started to thunder and lightning with slight rain just as made it back to the tree line.

outdoorman00

outdoorman00 - Jun 5, 2019 11:33 am Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2018

Got it in before the snow!

Great climb with NO acclimation

eli.boardman

eli.boardman - Dec 27, 2018 11:40 am Date Climbed: Dec 31, 2016

Solo winter east ridge  Sucess!

New Year's Eve solo climb in perfect weather on second try, east ridge from Avalanche Gulch; first solo winter 14er

Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow - Feb 6, 2018 5:54 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2017

#43 Southwest Slopes  Sucess!

Quick run up the well defined trail for great views of the valley that harbor Harvard and Columbia. Encountered no snow on trail and took 2.5 hours up and 80 minutes down.

Niederbayer

Niederbayer - Jan 14, 2018 10:36 pm Date Climbed: Jan 14, 2018

Beautiful winter day  Sucess!

camped high up , saw only 2 other hikers high up - winter is definitely the best time for 14ers

BobEnein

BobEnein - Oct 3, 2017 12:29 pm Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2017

Tough slug to the summit  Sucess!

Forecast called for 50 mph wind gust, didn't know it would last for 3 hours almost which hampered my pace a little. Snow packed below the tree line all the way to the summit, not a bad thing I lost my spikes in the snow on the way up cuz as it turned out I didn't need them that much, the descent on my part was fast and hardly no stops till I got below the tree line for relative safety. Few people on the trail due to the weather but yet an incredible journey. I had a good chat with a decent hiker called Evan with his girlfriend, he was concerned for my safety as I was for theirs and I still was heading up in a dangerous weather solo. I am glad they too summitted and apparently made it safely as well.

Viewing: 1-20 of 276
Return to 'Mount Yale' main page