My Wasatch Photos

My Wasatch Photos

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

The Wasatch Range

These are some pictures I've taken in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah. Most of them were taken in the short stretch of mountains extending from Salt Lake City in the north to Provo in the south, which has the highest concentration of rugged peaks in the Wasatch, rising up to 7,000 feet above the valley floors. No other place in the United States offers as many hiking and climbing opportunities so close to a major city, and the scenery is comparable to what you'd find in the Tetons, Sierra, or Colorado Rockies. The best views require hiking longer distances to escape the crowds, but there are also some nice places you can drive right up to, such as Albion Basin in Little Cottonwood Canyon and Silver Flat Reservoir in American Fork Canyon. Despite a large network of well-maintained trails, most of the Wasatch 11ers (mountains with summits above 11,000 feet) require some form of scrambling (climbing using your hands) and all involve a little off-trail hiking. It's great being able to live next to such beautiful peaks!

A resource I often refer to when looking for new Wasatch hikes to get a feel for how difficult they will be is the Wasatch Mountain Club's Hike Listing & Ratings Table (compiled by Kip Yost).

I put together a slideshow of my pictures: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, & Part 6.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Aug 21, 2007 2:25 pm - Voted 10/10

wonderful

beautiful photos!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Aug 21, 2007 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wonderful

Thanks!

Dean

Dean - Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am - Voted 10/10

A gem

...of an album. So many nice pics and I like the way you have presented the peaks.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jan 27, 2009 8:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A gem

Thanks, Dean. I'm glad you like the pictures. It helps having such great places to take them.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Jul 14, 2011 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Wonderful Wasatch

It's wonderful to see pictures of peaks that I climbed over fifty years ago. Your entry reads like a guidebook to this inspiring backdrop to my old hometown of Salt Lake City. I enjoyed your pictures of the Alps as well. Thanks.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 19, 2011 2:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wonderful Wasatch

Thanks, Mr. Walton. I became a bit jaded living in the Alps for three years growing up, but am gaining a greater appreciation for the beauty right on my doorstep here in the Wasatch. I feel lucky to have lived in these two places where the mountains are so accessible.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6