No shortcuts to the top with Ed Viesturs.

No shortcuts to the top with Ed Viesturs.

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 20, 2004
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Greys and Torreys Peaks.

Sunrise view on my way to Torreys Peak.Sunrise at Steven Gulch.
Torreys Peak summit.Torreys Peak summit.
Grays Peak with Ed Viesturs, Colorado.Ed Viesturs and I on Grays Peak 4,349 m (14,270 ft.)
I have always admired great climbers who have achieved big goals, like those who climbed all 14 of the world's highest mountains (above 8,000 meters) without the use of supplemental oxygen.


One of them is Ed Viesturs who became the first American and fifth person in the world to accomplish this.


Climbing Grays and Torreys Peaks


I took off from work late at night and drove up to Steven Gulch Trailhead. Got to the trailhead around 2 am and waited for an hour until I started going up. It was still dark when I reached the chilly summit of Torreys Peak 4,339 m (14,236 ft). I curled myself up behind some stones and waited for sunrise.

As soon as the sun came up I head down to the saddle and climbed up to Grays Peak summit 4,349 m (14,270 ft) .

I was about to go down when I saw Ed Viesturs coming up with more than hundred people behind him.


It was great to hang out a couple of minutes with Ed and to have a picture taken with him at the top.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
noahs213

noahs213 - Oct 5, 2008 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Wow

Wish I could I could come across him in the mountains :)

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Oct 6, 2008 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Ed Viesturs..

Yep!, It was an honour being with him up there. Thank you for your comment!
Boriss...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2