Astralplane

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Astralplane
Manufacturer Dana Design
Page By climyaker
Page Type Jan 25, 2003 / Jan 25, 2003
Object ID 640
Hits 3625
Vote
This is a heavy use expedition backpack. It is top loading with side zips for some access to the main compartment. Two large pockets on the back of the pack. Lid comes off and combines with hipbelt for a butt-pack. 3 compression straps each side for good load stabilization. Big winter-bag sleeping bag compartment, with removeable internal divider. A big, heavy load hauling pack.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

climyaker - Jan 25, 2003 4:05 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Used it four seven straight hard weeks. Took it off and threw it over down trees. Duck-walked under large boulders. Hiked 10+ miles a day with 70+ pound loads. Abused the hell out of it, and only a small abrasion (half the thickness of the fabric) on one of the exterior pockets. This pack is very simple in design, one main compartment, two large pockets, a lid, and the sleeping bag compartment. It carries 90 lbs of food, clothing, and alpine climbing gear amazingly comfortable. The suspension is absolutely bomber... It takes a little bit of getting used to as far as adjusting it goes, I found myself having to put the belt higher on my hip than i would have thought to normally, but once you get it adjusted right you will love this pack. Enough room for 3 weeks of food / gear if you pack well (and eat calorie-dense foods) You wont find a better expedition pack, anywhere.

Livelife4Summits - Nov 6, 2005 7:55 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
***As it happens the review from July 2003 is mine before summitpost.org police went halo and decided to kick people out left and right.....so I am claiming credit for this review by reposting it under my account****

This pack is the best money can buy, next to Osprey Crescents. I love the simple design and highly ergonomic and massive load capacity. This pack can carry immense loads, whether its for a week or two weeks, you could easily fit it all in there. The heaviness doesn't transfer to your back too, it is distributed on the hips, and shoulders so you never feel the burden of your load.
The hip belt takes a while to get used to and it has to be placed higher on the body to sit comfortably. I love all the adjustable straps on the pack that allow you to stabilize the load and keep your balance.

I am referring to the DD Archflex Astraplane pack which is the same model only earlier version back when they were made in Bozeman, MT. If you get a chance to get these on ebay, do. The ones in Mexico just do have the same Made in USA quality.
Overall this is a great purchase

Viewing: 1-2 of 2