Contour Classic

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Contour Classic
Manufacturer Lowe Alpine
Page By Andy
Page Type Aug 19, 2003 / Aug 19, 2003
Object ID 794
Hits 5530
Vote

  • Sturdy, large volume backpack that's great for carrying large loads on extended trips

  • Embracing waistbelt with new "V" web configuration increases comfort and support

  • Separate sleeping bag compartment with zip-out divider

  • Simple dependable design

  • Internal - dual aluminum stays provide excellent support without extra weight

  • Compression straps help compress and stabilize the load

  • Air cooled back panel provides air flow to your back

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Andy - Aug 19, 2003 12:38 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is a good entry level backpack. It doesn't have any bells or whistles, but it works well and it's held up great for the three seasons I've been using it. Two things it's missing though are a hydration bladder, and a detachable lid that converts to a fanny pack. The next backpack I get will have these two features.

Erik Beeler - Nov 24, 2003 12:21 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Used this pack for five years and it was durable. The laminate lining/water proofing was starting to come off but nothing ever ripped or tore despite several trips with 70 pound loads. The hip belt was not so good for me with loads this heavy and I would get bruises from having to pull the belt so tight. Would have been nice if it had side pockets but I was able to strap pockets onto it fairly easily.



Durable, no frills, inexpensive.

Washing Machine - Jun 4, 2005 8:11 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
As far as all around usability goes, this is a good pack. It has the ability to hold a lot of gear. This, however, is about it's best benefit other than having 2 ice axe loops. The straps are hard to pull tight and are painful with a lot of weight (I've suffered bruises every trip with more than 20 lbs in it). Front access stops short, and top access takes some time. I would recommend more pockets and straps, although the simplicity could also be seen as a benefit to some. But with snow shoes, ice axe, and crampons, I find myself rigging complex attachments outside of the pack.

ChicagoClimber - Aug 12, 2005 3:59 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I've had this bag for 4 years now, and it has accumulated about 5 months of backcountry time, all with 50 lbs or more. The only problem i've noticed, is an extremely weak waste belt, which causes all the weight to be carried on the shoulders. This makes the shoulder straps loose, and i've broken a couple belt buckles by consistently tightening the belt too tight. However, other than that the bag has been perfect. It has almost no bells and whistles - which is great in my opinion, most of them aren't needed and they just add weight. It's a super light, simple, toploading bag that gets the job done. I'd recommend it to people beginning their life in the outdoors.

cwoods17 - Aug 20, 2005 3:45 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I've used this pack for three years and had no big problems. The shoulder straps are very adjustable. The compression system doesn't work very well with small loads. Also, the sleeping bag compartment is huge. I always end up tightening the hipbelt to the hilt, and sometimes it unbuckles itself. The pack is vey basic, and I wish it had a little more organizational capability. Quality-wise, it is superb. Every stich is like new and there is no fraying. It is an excellent pack for beginers, because it holds whatever you could want, adjusts easily, and is priced well.
I bought the Lowe Alpine removeable sidepockets, but don't use them on my Contour, because I have enough room already. They probably work on other packs if you're creative.

woodsxc - Oct 1, 2008 1:34 pm - Voted 5/5

Workhorse
I got this when I was in junior high and I've yet to find a good reason to replace it. The APS adjustable backpanel lets the pack grow with you so you can customize the fit. Its giant capacity lets you load up for extended trips without worrying about not having enough room. It is incredibly durable and has yet to rip or tear or bust a zipper in over seven years of use. Yes, the hipbelt is not as plush as some others, but that's a DIY fix with some foam and tape. You can store your hydration bladder in the lid if you don't want it loose in the body of the pack. To make life easier, I use my REI Duck's Back raincover pocket clipped onto the hipbelt. This pack holds up to a lot of abuse and heavy loads (I've put 60 lbs in it and I'm sure it could hold even more).

Viewing: 1-6 of 6