eTrex Legend

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title eTrex Legend
Manufacturer Garmin
Page By 43moon
Page Type Apr 5, 2002 / Apr 5, 2002
Object ID 207
Hits 5008
Vote
Features
• Reversible Routes : Yes
• Display Screen : 160 x 288 Pixels
• Battery Back-Up: Yes
• On-Screen Menus: Yes
• Raised Keys: Yes
• Battery Low Alert: Yes
• Water Resistant : Yes
• Water Resistance Rating : IPX7
• Lunar Phases: Yes
• Click Stick: Yes
• Hunting/Fishing Calculator: Yes

Key Specs:
• Unit Depth: 1.2 in
• Unit Width: 2 in
• Unit Height: 4.4 in
• Display Screen Width: 1.1 in
• Display Screen Height: 2.1 in
• Unit Weight w/ Batteries : 5.3 oz
• Number of Waypoints : 500
• Number of Routes: 20 Routes
• Receiver : 12 Channels
• Interfaces: NMEA 0183 and RTCM 104 DGPS Corrections
• Battery Capacity: 2 AA
• Battery Life: Up to 18 Hours
• Power: 2 AA Batteries (25 Watts)
• Power Source: 2 AA Batteries
• Update Rates: Every Second
• Number of Navigation Screens : 2
• Coordinates : Lat/Long, UTM/UPS, MGRS, Maidenhead, and 11 Other Grids
• Acquisition Times: Fast as 15 Seconds

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-10 of 10

43moon - Apr 5, 2002 7:11 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is a nice full-featured GPS unit. I like the fact that it comes with an interface cable so that you can transfer data between the unit and your computer. The good news is that most topographic programs will allow you to download waypoints from this unit. The bad news is that if you want to save your tracks, you will need to buy one of Garmins MapSource programs.



I have not had too many problems with dropped signals (under reasonable conditions). I have lost signal while in a few canyons, but it usually doesn't take it very long to recover the signal again.



I reccomend that if you do buy this, be sure to get the Garmin case for it as well. It is a nice leather and neoprene case that allows full access to the buttons, and an unobstructed view of the screen.

peakwolf - Oct 1, 2002 2:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have been using this GPS for about a year. At first I found the manual somewhat confusing but after going through the features a few times reading along with the manual, I decided that it was actually well designed and easy to use. I use it in conjunction with the National Geographic TOPO map set for Colorado and it seems to work seamlessly for up- and down-loading tracks, waypoints etc. I also bought the topo map set from Garmin that allows you to download topo maps right into the GPS. These are not 7 1/2 minute maps so are of limited use, but if you plan your route in advance and download waypoints, the internal maps help you with orienting to general topographic features. I have found that I lose signal in forested areas so it is not that useful on trail approaches, particularly if the day isn't clear (something that is less a problem here in Colorado than for instance in the Pacific Northwest). But once you are above treeline, it holds signal very well even in a whiteout. Its very easy to set a particular spot as a waypoint (useful for marking good places to start a ski descent!). I bought my model a couple years ago and it does not have much RAM. I would recommend getting as much RAM as they offer because the downloadable map sets sold by Garmin take up a lot of memory, so you'll be able to load more territory with more memory. One more thing, these units really take a lot of battery juice. I find if I am out on a 6-8 hour trips that I have to replace the batteries each time. Rechargables would be nice.

Don Nelsen - Aug 18, 2003 8:01 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I've used this unit now for two and a half years and it is excellent in open areas but loses signal in heavy forest and cliffs. Very easy to use and a very easy screen to read - especially if you are older and need reading glasses - the large number option can be read without them. The batteries last only about 6 hours in normal mode but when they fail no data is lost. Downloading to Topo is easy and great maps can be made from the data acquired. I've used this all over the US, in Mexico and even Finland and it's very accurate.

Update Sept. 26, 2004: Technologies change and I've downgraded my rating one notch to 3 stars. I lost this venerable unit at the summit of Mt. Theilsen a couple of months ago and replaced it with a Garmin 60C. (Same as the 60CS but without the magnetic compass) The batteries last 30 hours on the new unit, the memory is vastly superior and it is more ergonomic and easier to read. The legend is still a good unit at only $200 but the availability of much better units changes the scale by which to judge.

IceAxe18 - Mar 10, 2005 9:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I used my Etrex Legend to drive down to Mt Hood on Feb 25th 2005. I found that the Etrex Legend was really helpfull to get me there.

I of course used the etrex legend while I was climbing Mt Hood to. I didn't make it that day though, but hopefully in May I'll try Mt Hood again.

Anyways I really like the Etrex Legend. I like keeping it up to date with the software. The current version is 3.70 as of this Review.

I recommend this GPS.

alexr - Aug 5, 2005 3:51 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
used this when in Yelloestone and the tetons it worked great. It was percise on elevation and speed. It had so many features i didnt know what half of them did. This was a very useful product but it did take awhile to track the satilittes and it takes you quite awhile to figure it out. I would suggest getting to understant it before using it in the wilderness.

Mike N - Nov 17, 2005 9:52 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This GPS unit is relatively inexpensive. You can upload an incredible amount of map data. Keep in mind what you want to do. Do you really need that much more memory? You don't need the whole country mapped to detail on your handheld GPS, just the area you'll be travelling in. Uploading new maps is relatively simple. This unit is highly accurate and has even gotten me back on track and kept me from wasting a lot of time getting lost a few times.



These units are not critical for backcountry use. But, the few times you actually put one to good use will make it well worth it.



Battery time is decent, but if you keep it on the whole time you're out there it will run out quicker than you think. It can be difficult to see the screen with light reflection. The newer models may be better.

dobsonian - Jul 26, 2007 5:11 pm - Voted 3/5

you can do better
Don't get me wrong, I've used this thing for 3 years now and it always gets me where I need to go but:

1) No external antenna/weak batteries/cloud cover/thick forests cause you to loose signal or have horrible accuracy when you need it most
2) The screen blanks out regularly (I've heard that there is an internal battery problem that causes this but my gut is moisture/oxidation on the contacts between the pcb and the lcd display). I have to periodically smack it if it blanks out and if you have it out while you're going up class 3+ and it bangs a rock it's a bear to figure out if it powered off or is just the display issue
3) The rubber outer with the switches delaminates
4) The lanyard strap holder breaks away easily and if you clip to the back of the cover it tends to open the battery compartment (I spent 40 minutes on Mt. Mansfield trying to find my GPS in the snow where it came loose from the cover
5) Proprietary map software
6) Lack of expandable memory
7) Poor screen contrast
8) Flakey joy stick

I do love this device but it's like a disfunctional child at times.

Koonsy - Apr 15, 2008 12:13 am - Voted 3/5

not so much
This is my first GPS and I am not a big fan. I was expecting a lot more out of it. I have to much touble with keeping and getting a good signal and that gets very frustrating to say the least. I do like the mapping software that came with it and when it is working it is pretty cool tool to have and simple to use but thats about it. I simply was expecting more, but thats just me.

Rob Ricks - Jun 22, 2008 6:13 pm - Voted 4/5

Reliable
I've used my Legend for the past four years in Australia, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Pacific Northwest, and Southwest Louisiana/Southeast Texas. It is reliable and easy to use. The positional altitude function helped me bushwahack through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. It hasn't failed me yet. No GPS replaces basic land nav skills. The Legend gives me confidence in my navigation decisions. I use the neoprene cover to protect the screen.

The only reason I give it 4/5 stars is the better technology available at the time of this rating.

mtnbnd - Dec 27, 2013 2:28 pm - Voted 4/5

Simple & Reliable
Simple, reliable, light weight. I keep it in my backpack just in case my map and compass get lost.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10