Pro Sticky Mid

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Pro Sticky Mid
Manufacturer Salomon
Page By phomchick
Page Type Jul 12, 2002 / Jul 12, 2002
Object ID 411
Hits 5847
Vote
These shoes are designed for approach hikes, climbing instruction, and mixed terrain hiking. They are mid-height to provide increased ankle support and protection, as well as to keep the scree at bay. Stiffness is supplied by the "contagrip sticky rubber" outer sole and EVA plastic midsole reinforcement. They have a full rubber rand for durability and jamming.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

phomchick - Jul 16, 2002 12:44 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I keep looking for the Holy Grail of mountaineering shoes. I want something light and comfortable but with enough support so that boulder-field crossings are possible. These shoes are the closest I have come to that goal. I bought a pair from REI the day before a two-day trip. With no break-in I hiked 34 miles in two days, climbing two mountains and one pass. The shoes felt like slippers and after all of that hiking, I hadn't created a single blister. The contagrip rubber soles gripped well and the lack of a steel shank didn't seem to hurt when crossing technical terrain. They are too flexible for use with crampons, but this usually isn't a problem for summer conditions in the Sierra and in Colorado. I have used them for approaches, 3rd, 4th, and 5th class (5.7) climbing. They were superb in every situation. These shoes are now my standard for all mountaineering except for snow and ice. They are great!

robertdurham - Aug 23, 2002 3:36 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Broke my ankle four weeks before going to the North Cascades. Made a bet, said a prayer, and ordered the Sticky Mids from Sierra. Great ankle support( complimented with a roll of athleyic tape) enabled me to climb South Early Winter Spire, Blue Peak, and Fun Rock with my son. Stealth rubber did well on alpine ascent and even was flexible on face climbs at the crag. Only downside is the mid-sole appears to be deteriorating after only five days of wear.

bearbnz - Nov 30, 2003 12:04 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
These shoes seem to be durable enough, I haven't noticed any damage so far.

Although touting sticky rubber, they don't stick as well as my Sportiva Exum Ridge shoes, or as well as the Five Ten Guide Almighty. They still stick better than the other light hikers that are not shod with the sticky stuff.

I bought these on the internet, and in retrospect this was a mistake because if I had tried them on first, I probably would not have bought them (I only paid $47 for them, so I don't feel too bad). These shoes are definitely for a wide foot. The length is fine, but on downhills I can not lace them tight enough to prevent my toes being hammered against the front of the shoe on every step. Uphill, I'm fine, but by the time I've descended 5,000 or so feet, my toes are black and blue.

The sole is featured enough to make them useful on other mediums aside from pure rock, and the half-height ankle keeps most of the stuff out. The shoes are very stiff in the longitudinal axis, and so far have not broken in too well. The padding and support are adequate.

If the fit was right, they're probably pretty good shoes, but I can't wear them on downhills, so I've had to relegate them to work shoes.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3