Venom

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Venom
Manufacturer Omega Pacific
Page By mconnell
Page Type Apr 30, 2002 / Apr 30, 2002
Object ID 264
Hits 4088
Vote
The Venom's 6061 T-6 aircraft-quality aluminum shaft has a slight recurve to help hooking and prevent finger bashing. The laminated rubber grip has inset-finger contour cutouts to aid your grip and help prevent hand fatigue even with small hands. There is no protruding shaft bulge, which might otherwise preclude plunging the shaft in snow and ice. Not only that, the straighter shaft renders a more intuitive, natural swing. The heads are cast from 17-4 stainless steel just like the picks (same as the Icemetric). Each Venom comes with the Omega Pacific Duro Leash.
Available as Hammer or Adze, 45cm & 50cm

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

mconnell - Apr 30, 2002 9:41 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
These tools are reasonably well balanced and fairly easy to place. The grips are fairly well designed so they are not bad to hold onto. The leashes are functional but nothing special, usually requiring me to use my teeth to loosen them while climbing.



On the down side, the grip extends wider than the shaft making it hard to plunge in hard stuff. This also causes the grip to get worn by plunging so mine is starting to seperate after 2 seasons of somewhat light use.



Bottom line is buy Axars for the same price from Barabes.

marcminish - Jul 23, 2002 12:45 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
A good tool for the price (I saw them on sale for under $100 on Mgear.com). Worked very well in different types of ice, but the grip part of the handle was a little soft for my tastes. Also, had some trouble with the pick getting blunted quicker than other tools I've used.

sshankle - Dec 19, 2003 1:38 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Alpine Ice: Grade A

Shaft plunges well. Light.



Steep water ice: Grade B-

Great except for knuckle bashing if you use it much over a day/week or longer on steep stuff...



Replace the leash.... BD Lockdown is great for steep ice.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3