Beautiful Sierra Spring Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Re: Beautiful Sierra Spring Conditions

by MoapaPk » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I guess I missed out on conflicts that may have occurred off the SP main page... but rhyang always gave me helpful advice, and was never snide.

His last accident was very serious; he's officially disabled, and has overcome many deficits to get back to *anything* in the outdoors. I hope he comes back from this latest accident as strong.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Does he use handicapped parking spaces? It seems inappropriate to be taking them if you are capable of following up with an eight mile approach to a technical route.

Deb

by Deb » Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 pm

All passes closed this morning. Snow!

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Tue May 07, 2013 4:01 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Does he use handicapped parking spaces? It seems inappropriate to be taking them if you are capable of following up with an eight mile approach to a technical route.

Funny thing, that. When I was nonweightbearing for months and on crutches with a shattered leg, I started out adamant that I didn't need a handicapped parking permit. I was crutch-hiking up trails and even little hills off trail; I could certainly crutch the distance across a parking lot. Turns out many parking lot spaces are so small that I couldn't get the doors open all the way to be able to get myself and my crutches out. Maybe they should make wide "semi-handicapped" spaces at the far end of the lot for those of us determined to do whatever we can anyway. And FWIW, technical climbing turned out to be easier than Class 2 talus in the end, because I can use my arms. Surprising how many little things you'd never think about until something happens to you.

I for one would appreciate any info on how rhyang is doing, on a separate thread.

The following user would like to thank Teresa Gergen for this post
MoapaPk, Princess Buttercup

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I guess I missed out on conflicts that may have occurred off the SP main page... but rhyang always gave me helpful advice, and was never snide.

Granted I don't follow these forums often, but I must have missed out on that too. Rhyang always came across as an okay dude from the stuff I read.

Sorry to hear about his injuries. Hope he heals up well and fast.
Last edited by ExploreABitMore on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 pm

So what's harder... an seven mile well maintained trail with 4000 feet of elevation gain followed by a mile of tedious talus, or hoofing it an extra 30 yards from the back of the parking lot at Safeway so you can park with an empty space next to you?

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
anita

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah but those blue haired old ladies do their cruising in the handicapped sections of the parking lot.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Does he use handicapped parking spaces? It seems inappropriate to be taking them if you are capable of following up with an eight mile approach to a technical route.

I don't know, does he use handicapped parking? I'm not about to assume he does.

I was offered the chance to be declared officially handicapped, but I declined for fear that it would affect job opportunities.

Neurological traumas may have side effects that are not easily understood by many folks. I feel the least handicapped when I am climbing mountains; I can focus on a problem at a time, and use my cerebrum to make up for the missing part of the cerebellum.

The week after I climbed Telescope the long way (11500' accumulated gain in 10 hours), I was given an emergency work task that nearly brought me to tears. "All" the task involved was keeping 10 windows open on the computer console, cutting and pasting among them, typing quickly, and doing easy spreadsheet calculations-- under lots of deadline pressure. After 10 minutes of this my right hand would begin to spasm, and I'd accidentally close a window or hit some ghastly key combination, and wipe out the last 5 minutes of work. I grinned and bore it for 2 weeks, got way behind (never was behind before), and was miserable. All the cerebellum work would cause me to lose the ability to talk early in the day, and people wondered if I were drunk. Finally I pulled the "handicapped" card, and got the company medical to put restrictions on my work. The doctors asked me why I waited so long.

I know rhyang had problems with focus after the 1st accident. He could be very competent at some climbing tasks, but descending talus would stymie him.

Oddly enough, the grocery store is one of the places where I often wish I had a flashing neon handicapped sign. I can't sign my name, or pull out my credit card, quickly enough for the people in back of me. I can't open those !@#$&^%* plastic bags without a minute of scratching. I have to concentrate intensely when I pick up and turn over eggs to see if the shells are broken.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So what's harder... an seven mile well maintained trail with 4000 feet of elevation gain followed by a mile of tedious talus, or hoofing it an extra 30 yards from the back of the parking lot at Safeway so you can park with an empty space next to you?

trying to justify it to those who call you on it. duh.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Bunch of class acts, asshats. While he and I no longer climb together, Rob is a gentleman and an inspiration. I dare any single one of you to say what you've said here directly to my face about him. I'll drop you faster than anything you've ever experienced.

Get back to conditions or GTFO.

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
JHH60, Scott M.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

What are you up in arms about?

That we said he uses a disabled placard when he doesn't need to? Well does he or not?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Ahhh... no actually I meant he is an annoying rascal in person just as he comes off on the internet.

I guess that was pretty offensive?

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 pm

drop it! this place is starting to sound like the supertopo. we're klassy with a 'k' around here

Deb

by Deb » Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 am

I said! "ALL PASSES ARE CLOSED"! White Mtn range is gloriously wearing white.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
Princess Buttercup

artrock23

by artrock23 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 am

Deb wrote:I said! "ALL PASSES ARE CLOSED"! White Mtn range is gloriously wearing white.

How much snowfall was there in the Sierras near Bishop, Deb?

PreviousNext

Return to California