Copyright Issues.

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 pm

This is a sad, interesting, and kind of ridiculous story!

Some people are so commercially-minded, but I'm not convinced that they get ahead with this approach. So much care to prevent people seeing things "for free" just means hardly anybody sees them. Just my 2 cents. This "Forbidden Mountain" guy could probably make more money by writing a front page summitpost article with the most gripping chapter from his book, and discretely mention that he'll guide you up Ushba at the end. Right? But nope, instead it's all about lawyers and permission and ceasing and desisting. :roll:

By the way...

The "Summitpost Bulk Uploader" has a "Bulk Detach" feature, originally requested by Gabriele, but I don't think he ever used it. Perhaps an elf would like to use that feature. Send me a PM if the documentation page is insufficient and/or if you want to use it.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I've used it. I bulk submitted some photos to the wrong reference ID and GPS coordinates, so I bulk deleted them and re-added to the right place.

DMT

Hey, that's cool to hear! I never got any feedback on the "bulk delete/bulk detach" before, much appreciated.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Per the U.S. copyright law (I believe this web site is hosted in the U.S.):

"(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

1 - 7 edited out by Bryan Benn

and

8 architectural works."..

Sod it. I have just completed a full size replica of the Statue of Liberty to put in my back yard......

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

The objector says he "registered" the title "Forbidden Mountains" in contrast to the article which refers to "Forbidden Mountain" singular, so what's the problem? Precision is pretty important in intellectual property matters. I wonder where (which country) he supposedly registered his book title as opposed to placing the book itself for copyright protection?

The two words have such such universal coinage, almost attaining the status of cliche, that it seems highly unlikely they could be validly copyrighted.

Too bad this guy pulled his admirable contributions. Sounds like at bottom it could be a rivalry sort of thing with Alex.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Too bad I didn't copyright "Greatest Hits" when I had the chance, I'd be a millionaire off the royalties for people using my title. :roll:

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Both of these guys are trying to promote a highly sought after peak. The irony here is that both are Russian guides promoting a peak in Georgia, which is illegal for them to guide on. However, in Russia, I'm sure they have their ways of getting to that peak. Think $$$.

When I climbed Elbrus a couple years ago, Ushba was also on our itinerary. However, after hearing from the Russian host that it is illegal and that you will likely to get shot by attempting to cross the border, we aborted. My climbing partner contacted Alex regarding Ushba and was told that he'll take us, for a large fee.

I'm certain there's more to this conflict than bickering about copyright material. I absolutely hate it when business and money gets in the way of climbing mountains. I really hope these guys resolve their differences as they are good resources for mountains in the Caucasus region.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 pm

I think it depends on whether one climbs Ushba via the North Face, or the South Butt.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:Per the U.S. copyright law (I believe this web site is hosted in the U.S.):

"(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

and

Sod it. I have just completed a full size replica of the Statue of Liberty to put in my back yard......

I think the copyright on that has run out. Anyway, it was a gift from the frogs, so they would own the copyright. Screw 'em, make as many copies as you want!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:

and

I think the copyright on that has run out. Anyway, it was a gift from the frogs, so they would own the copyright. Screw 'em, make as many copies as you want!

Made by the frogs? :shock:

Yuk. I'll be out smashing up my replica shortly.

:wink:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:The objector says he "registered" the title "Forbidden Mountains" in contrast to the article which refers to "Forbidden Mountain" singular, so what's the problem? Precision is pretty important in intellectual property matters. I wonder where (which country) he supposedly registered his book title as opposed to placing the book itself for copyright protection?

The two words have such such universal coinage, almost attaining the status of cliche, that it seems highly unlikely they could be validly copyrighted.

Too bad this guy pulled his admirable contributions. Sounds like at bottom it could be a rivalry sort of thing with Alex.

You can only file for a copyright on something which is your own original creation. Two words just ain't gonna' stand up! If someone can show that the two words were used in combination before you did, the copyright is going to be held invalid. Hell, I doubt they'd let you register it in the first place.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Depends on the salaries of your lawyers:
http://www.lvrj.com/business/dispute-se ... 18002.html

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Salary has nothing to do with it, even a paralegal knows the difference between trademark and copyright :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm

"Forbidden Mountain" has TM after the name on a Disney list.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback