Vote Weight

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
lcarreau

Re: Vote Weight

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 am

Josh Lewis wrote: ... I love to throw in maps, eye candy, and interact with users, most non registered members come here for the beta.

I don't interact with users very much ... guilty as charged, but I can always dig a little bit of EYE CANDY ... --- :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrNZBu16DFw[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

visentin

by visentin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 am

Josh Lewis wrote:If no one reads pages, the main goal of SummitPost would be destroyed.

So here we are. 1st of April I posted a "hoax mountain" located in a range that doesn't exist, separating two countries that do not share any common border. Even without basics of European geography, it wasn't hard to guess with such a stupid text accompanied with unrelated pictures...
However some folks found a way to vote it as precisely as "9/10" :)

Mark Doiron

Re: Discounting 10/10 Vote Weight

by Mark Doiron » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

mrchad9 wrote:How long before a canyon page gets featured on the front page?

(grenade launched)

Wow, over a month for me to answer this question. I don't keep up with the forums, much. But, both the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and the Grand Canyon pages bear the "Featured on the Front Page" logos.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 pm

visentin wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:If no one reads pages, the main goal of SummitPost would be destroyed.

So here we are. 1st of April I posted a "hoax mountain" located in a range that doesn't exist, separating two countries that do not share any common border. Even without basics of European geography, it wasn't hard to guess with such a stupid text accompanied with unrelated pictures...

I read about half to two thirds of your page. Probably not too different than most people. Why would anyone read it top to bottom unless they had some thought of going there? You didn't prove folks do not read pages, as much as show that most aren't too opinionated on whether Slovakia and Slovenia share borders or not.

In case you were wondering, the page needs a little bit more route information, or a map, one or the other. Add that and the imaginary mountain can get a 10 from me. It wasn't a 9 for no reason.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Keep in mind the voters might not read a single word in the page! :lol: I'm talking about non voters. :wink:

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
visentin wrote:

I read about half to two thirds of your page. Probably not too different than most people. Why would anyone read it top to bottom unless they had some thought of going there? You didn't prove folks do not read pages, as much as show that most aren't too opinionated on whether Slovakia and Slovenia share borders or not.

In case you were wondering, the page needs a little bit more route information, or a map, one or the other. Add that and the imaginary mountain can get a 10 from me. It wasn't a 9 for no reason.

just to follow up on this idea / train of thought (along with others in the thread), what is the purpose of sp? is it just homework for me, so that i have to read a certain number of trip reports and / or summit descriptions before i get to read what i really want to read?

or, is it a resource, one for me to get my own ideas on future climbs that i am specifically interested in? should i be required to wade through and research the specific geography of a certain region in europe, even if i am never going to go there? and if i am required to do so, why? or can i leave that to the people who live in the area (and from the looks of the comments on the joke page, locals had problems with the page almost immediately).

i know to be a true sp'er i have to do a certain amount of hitting on hot female climbers, throwing out the random homophobic slur, and bragging on my cred while trashing someone else's, but really, i just come here for the things that interest me, and that's the mountains i want to climb and the pretty pictures (of scenery).

i am guilty of the almost-always-vote-10-out-of-10 phenomena, but mostly it's because if something doesn't interest me, i don't really waste my time on it. if i don't like your picture, why do i need to tell you that?
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
lcarreau, Mark Doiron

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm

brichardsson wrote:
i am guilty of the almost-always-vote-10-out-of-10 phenomena, but mostly it's because if something doesn't interest me, i don't really waste my time on it. if i don't like your picture, why do i need to tell you that?

I tend to AGREE 101% with Mister b. richardsson --- apparently I have more time for SP than Facebook .... just a matter of priorities.

In six more years after I retire, I'll have EVEN MORE TIME to float around in cyberspace, change my user-name to Old Buzzard, and practice a line
from an old Clint Eastwood movie :

"Get off mah Lawn, Kid :!: "
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 pm

lcarreau wrote:I tend to AGREE 101% with Mister b. richardsson

You mean 100%. How could you go beyond agreeing with an idea? :wink: Everyone else needs to say I 95% agree with you. 8)

lcarreau wrote:"Get off mah Lawn, Kid :!: "

Your going to have to call the cops if you want that. :D

visentin

by visentin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:55 pm

We are even more minimalists than that :) And no need to have a big car :D

The following user would like to thank visentin for this post
Josh Lewis

Previous

Return to Site Feedback