dSLR holster trial - Ama Dablam.

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
radson

by radson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Ha, thats cool CClaude, jaded means just honest and yes sneakyracer, my wonderful D300 has proven itself in battle in fairly cold weather.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm

radson wrote:Ha, thats cool CClaude, jaded means just honest and yes sneakyracer, my wonderful D300 has proven itself in battle in fairly cold weather.

Nice. I have a 1Ds mk3 but rarely take it out in the wild. Its kinda heavy even with the f4 L lenses (17-40 and 70-200) instead of the f2.8's (I also have the 70-200 f2.8L IS and its very heavy) I usually take my Olympus E410. So far it has held up fine but dont know if I can trust it on an expensive expedition / climb.

radson

by radson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:39 pm

sneaky, if you're a canon man, you should check out jamie's photos on http://www.project-himalaya.com/. He is usally seen with a Canon 5D surgically implanted to his hands. Not sure if he has upgraded to thre Mk II.

radson

Re: dSLR holster trial - Ama Dablam.

by radson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm

midwesttransplant wrote:
radson wrote:Hi Guys. I'm off to Ama Dablam again next week and will be trialing a dSLR holster system.

http://cottoncarrier.com/

Previously I used an Aarn pack with front pockets to hold my D300 and lens, so should be interesting to see how this system works out in comparison.

I am not quite sure how I am going to rig up for abeil/rappel with this on, nor how it will work crouching over and/or with down jacket suit.

If you have any questions let me know. Full discloure - Cotton Carrier has provided me with a complimentary unit.

Dispatches next week from:
http://www.fieldtouring.com/?page_id=710

Cross-posted - ukclimbing.com

So it looks to me that someone mounted a cellphone holder on a vest sort of thingy and is charging 140 bucks so that your camera can bang around on the outside exposed to the elements. Good luck with this. Looks like overpriced junk to me.

ha, your constructive comments are most welcome.

radson

by radson » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:16 pm

My wife broke her foot yesterday and I shall not be going on the trip. Thanks everyone for your input.

no avatar
Wastral

Re: dSLR holster trial - Ama Dablam.

by Wastral » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

The cotton carrier looks VERY heavy, and utterly useless for mountaineering. Why? Its not really attaching the camera to you. One jostle and it would bounce off its hook and go pinwheeling down the mountain by the looks of it. Fine for journalist photographers who are walking around on a flat football field and if the camera drops it falls a whopping 3 feet.

If you had to ask me I will only trust either a neck strap/string of some kind or a wrist strap/string.

What on earth are you taking a heavy Lowpro bag into the mountains for? A simple nylon bag or event bag with a drawstring works just as well. You don't need the padding unless you are planning on going tumbling down the mountain. In which case, put the padding on your body, not your camera lense bag!

I use a Nice and deep nylon bag so you can stuff your hand into it and move Batteries/CF cards in out of cameras without the fear of dropping said part due to gloves. Its far lighter. Weight of said bag? 1.1 oz + weight of a small biner to clip said bag to my chest gear rack or rear of my harness or backpack shoulder strap ring.

Brian

midwesttransplant wrote:
radson wrote:
midwesttransplant wrote:
radson wrote:Hi Guys. I'm off to Ama Dablam again next week and will be trialing a dSLR holster system.

http://cottoncarrier.com/

Previously I used an Aarn pack with front pockets to hold my D300 and lens, so should be interesting to see how this system works out in comparison.

I am not quite sure how I am going to rig up for abeil/rappel with this on, nor how it will work crouching over and/or with down jacket suit.

If you have any questions let me know. Full discloure - Cotton Carrier has provided me with a complimentary unit.

Dispatches next week from:
http://www.fieldtouring.com/?page_id=710

Cross-posted - ukclimbing.com

So it looks to me that someone mounted a cellphone holder on a vest sort of thingy and is charging 140 bucks so that your camera can bang around on the outside exposed to the elements. Good luck with this. Looks like overpriced junk to me.

ha, your constructive comments are most welcome.

How about my nonconstructive comments?

Still looks like junk to me.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:20 am

radson wrote:My wife broke her foot yesterday and I shall not be going on the trip. Thanks everyone for your input.

sorry to hear that, for both your wife and you.

CClaude

by CClaude » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 pm

radson wrote:My wife broke her foot yesterday and I shall not be going on the trip. Thanks everyone for your input.

Hey, Don't worry, you'll get another opportunity. Its good to see you have your priorities straight (atleast freom my viewpoint).

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:35 am

Wow, very sorry to hear about the injury. Wish her a fast recovery!

Thanks for the link BTW, awesome pics! Amazing Scenery, the vertical nature of the Nepal/Tibet mountain landscapes never seizes to amaze me. The scale of the place is just unbeleivable. 2,000 meter walls of near vertical rock and ice seem commonplace! No trees, so much bare rock and ice. very dangerous and inhospitable but beautiful landscapes! Where I am from is just the opposite. Every single hill / mountain is just covered in trees, sierra palms, brush, plants, weeds. Everything. There are steep hills but you never feel too exposed due to the vegetation.

I want to feel the sense of space and scale that only glaciated peaks seem to offer.

Previous

Return to Gear