dSLR holster trial - Ama Dablam.

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
radson

dSLR holster trial - Ama Dablam.

by radson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi Guys. I'm off to Ama Dablam again next week and will be trialing a dSLR holster system.

http://cottoncarrier.com/

Previously I used an Aarn pack with front pockets to hold my D300 and lens, so should be interesting to see how this system works out in comparison.

I am not quite sure how I am going to rig up for abeil/rappel with this on, nor how it will work crouching over and/or with down jacket suit.

If you have any questions let me know. Full discloure - Cotton Carrier has provided me with a complimentary unit.

Dispatches next week from:
http://www.fieldtouring.com/?page_id=710

Cross-posted - ukclimbing.com
Last edited by radson on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

Looks like an interesting setup. Would you be wearing this underneath your down suit or other outer layer? (I'd be worried about the camera freezing up if not insulated, or will body heat be enough to keep that from happening?)

Regardless, keep us posted and good luck on the climb!

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 am

It is a great setup, but for long treks, I like the: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Off ... 1981,7.htm

The lowepro system offers better protection for your equipment.

radson

by radson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 am

Alpinisto wrote:Looks like an interesting setup. Would you be wearing this underneath your down suit or other outer layer? (I'd be worried about the camera freezing up if not insulated, or will body heat be enough to keep that from happening?)

Thanks Alpinisto. To be honest, the unit/device is being sent to Kathmandu, so I have yet to see it in the flesh.

I envisage, that it would go over my base/medium layerand I hope my down jacket can zip up over it. We shall see......

Apex

by Apex » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:57 am

Looks pretty good, but it leaves the camera extremely exposed to the elements. What I have heard of some people doing is getting a bag with belt loops on it, and then wearing that. That gives you the option to move it around, weather it be on your back, hip, or in front of you, its always fairly accessible and way more protected than that.

Also, I would consider bringing another camera body with you, nothing extremely expensive, but just a back-up option if you D300 fails. Something like a D50 or D80 would do nicely.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:32 am

Interesting idea - certainly looks like a fast draw, which is good, but... does it hold the camera securely enough for rough terrain? Looks like a recipe for lost lens caps while bushwhacking, for example.

I note the model is not using neck straps on the camera bodies. That's a safety precaution I'd never skip. It's also a huge convenience in situations like changing lenses on a glacier - let the camera body dangle while capping/uncapping each lens. (I just use a shoelace for a neck strap, it saves bulk and sweat.) Wearing two neck straps at once could get awkward, so it'd be nice to have a little pocket for storing a neck strap.

I also don't see any pockets for spare lenses, filters, spare batteries, or holding the lens cap while shooting.

Like others, I'd be a little concerned about rain, snow or rime ice. No pack does much against cold.

no avatar
robpatterson5

by robpatterson5 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:12 am

I have a lowePro one that straps to my chest: padded, comes with a rain fly, space for one big lens and body, or two or three smaller lenses, as well as accessories - almost as fast access if I plan ahead. It is also outside of my layers, meaning I have less issues with condensation in the cold.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 am

I'll be doing something similar with the Think Tank skin system (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/skin-set-belt-packs.aspx), but only next summer. I'd be very interested in your feedback on the system you're testing.[/url]

radson

by radson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 pm

http://blog.mountainworldproductions.com/2007/11/picture-perfect.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/mountain-climbing.shtml
http://www.alpineexposures.com

Nattfodd, your artcile in Luminous Landscapes is one of the essays I review before each climbing trip. Thanks.

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Alpinisto wrote:Looks like an interesting setup. Would you be wearing this underneath your down suit or other outer layer? (I'd be worried about the camera freezing up if not insulated, or will body heat be enough to keep that from happening?)

Ama Dablam really isn't that cold. Up until camp 2 (of 3) a simple down jacket is sufficient at camp and not necessary while climbing. Above camp 2 its cold.

radson

by radson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:26 pm

CClaude wrote:

Ama Dablam really isn't that cold. Up until camp 2 (of 3) a simple down jacket is sufficient at camp and not necessary while climbing. Above camp 2 its cold.

I think it depends. If all goes well, I am expecting to summit last week of November and I expect it to be considerably colder than late October.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 am

That is an amazing system. Very Very cool. The only thing use you better have a good solid weatherproof DSLR, like a 1 series Canon or any of the D300 and above Nikons because the camera is quite exposed. But man, its awesome.

CClaude

by CClaude » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 am

Radson,

Good point.

Have fun. No matter how jaded I am, its a beautiful mountain and an amzing country.

radson

by radson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Ha, thats cool CClaude, jaded means just honest and yes sneakyracer, my wonderful D300 has proven itself in battle in fairly cold weather.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm

radson wrote:Ha, thats cool CClaude, jaded means just honest and yes sneakyracer, my wonderful D300 has proven itself in battle in fairly cold weather.

Nice. I have a 1Ds mk3 but rarely take it out in the wild. Its kinda heavy even with the f4 L lenses (17-40 and 70-200) instead of the f2.8's (I also have the 70-200 f2.8L IS and its very heavy) I usually take my Olympus E410. So far it has held up fine but dont know if I can trust it on an expensive expedition / climb.

Next

Return to Gear