It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 12:54 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

CA/Sierra Guide Service Recommendations

I was looking to come out and take an alpine skills course, something like a 4-7 day intermediate course in rock/glacier traverse, crevasse rescue, etc. Any recommended companies to look at? SMI looks good, but they seem pretty expensive compared to some of the other companies. Any experience with them, are they worth an extra $200?
Read more : CA/Sierra Guide Service Recommendations | Views : 1745 | Replies : 13

Never give up your dreams

I went snowshoeing on Monday in north Tahoe with some guys from Reno. Our objective was to head up to Castle Peak, then traverse the ridge to Basin. I was last up in this area in 2004 -- I snowshoed up from the Donner Summit sno-park and scrambled up the east turret of Castle, third class in plastic boots and heavy gloves, just for the challenge.

This time was different though. Lots of SP'ers know ...
Read more : Never give up your dreams | Views : 7472 | Replies : 36

Hiking/Fundraiser opportunity

Hello everyone,

I am participating in a fundraiser for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy called 2010 Climb to Cure Duchenne - Pick Your Peak. I wanted to let you all know about it since I think you might enjoy participating. The idea is to organize teams all around the nation to raise awareness and money for research to help cure Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy culminating with a climb of your favorite peak. The climb dates are on June ...
Read more : Hiking/Fundraiser opportunity | Views : 572 | Replies : 0

Recommendations for April Day Hike in Sequoia NP

Hello!

I have a chance to do a day hike in Sequoia National Park during the first week of April. I have been doing some research both here and on the NPS site for day hikes, but it’s a bit overwhelming.

As I mentioned, I am looking for a recommendation for a day hike, anything up to Class 2 will work since my wife will be with me. Ideally looking for something less than 12 ...
Read more : Recommendations for April Day Hike in Sequoia NP | Views : 5911 | Replies : 9

Yosemite Valley campgrounds

Every summer I take my sons up to Yosemite Valley for a weekend of bicycle riding and exploring. We usually stay at Housekeeping Camp or in the Curry Village tent cabins. This year we want to stay in a campground instead...
What campground(s) do you guys recommend? I'm asking in March because I'm sure we'll need to reserve a spot for this summer asap.

Many thanks!
Will Hart
Read more : Yosemite Valley campgrounds | Views : 4219 | Replies : 16

High Altitude Research Subjects Needed

Graduate student is looking for males who have had a history of High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) to participate in a research study at UC Davis. Subjects are really needed!!!! Participants receive a free VO2 max test and body composition. Travel compensation may be available. For more information please contact Jenni Figueroa: jkinch@ucdavis.edu
Read more : High Altitude Research Subjects Needed | Views : 3206 | Replies : 15

Climbing @lovers leap 6/4 - 6/10

I will be in Placerville Cali from these dates for a wedding on the 5th of june. anyone want to save me and do some climbing at the leap? I have wanted to climb there for five years and will be traveling with a rack and ropes and possibly a car anyone want to climb? Please help a climber stuc with the in-laws. :shock: Thanks,

Mike
Read more : Climbing @lovers leap 6/4 - 6/10 | Views : 778 | Replies : 0

caltech banff film festival tickets on sale

Tickets just went on sale last week to the general public for the Banff Film festival at Caltech (Pasadena) on 23 Mar. They only do phone or mail order sales (kind of shocking for such a techy place).

http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-6961.html
Read more : caltech banff film festival tickets on sale | Views : 1610 | Replies : 3

Ghost Mountain Anza Borrego

New mountain, it still is a work in progress.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html
Read more : Ghost Mountain Anza Borrego | Views : 1046 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558010 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136546