It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:46 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Heat management: sweating while still feeling cold?

I've been experimenting running with my different layers while running to test breathability and managing my temperature. I've worn both fleeces and softshells while running in around 30 degree temps, and I felt they made me overheat and sweat somewhat during my runs.

So today I wore my Marmot Essence jacket, made of Marmot's proprietary fabric that is supposed to be almost breathable as eVent but is super light (< half pound). It was kinda ...
Read more : Heat management: sweating while still feeling cold? | Views : 13236 | Replies : 18 | Forum : Technique and Training

Easier Climbing Plans Page?

So PnP is dead. RIP. Husker mentioned in the other thread some comparisons of this SP to 14ers.com. Both great mountain sites I frequent daily. 14ers.com has a very narrow focus but is great for what it does focus on. SP is great for everything else, every other hill mountain or molehill in the world.

What I do notice is that on 14ers.com it is much easier to find someone to climb with. There's a ...
Read more : Easier Climbing Plans Page? | Views : 727 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Site Feedback

Alpine/Glacier Harness

I have a BD Momentum AL which is a decent jack-of-all-trades. But, the thick padding and stiff gear loops on the harness don't cooperate with the hip stays on my pack (Osprey Atmos). When cragging or approaching I usually leave the harness off, but I'm going to be doing some bigger stuff with glaciers and intermittent technical sections, so something has to give.

I'm looking for a super-basic harness. Two gear loops up front would ...
Read more : Alpine/Glacier Harness | Views : 4864 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Gear

Mt. Wilson trail damaged from fires?

Does anyone know if Mt. Wilson trailhead out of Sierra Madre, or Iron mountain trail (somewhere up Azusa canyon) was affected by fires last year and are closed?

I'm looking to go up one of those trails thursday and don't want to have to turn around.
Read more : Mt. Wilson trail damaged from fires? | Views : 2685 | Replies : 7 | Forum : California

S&R on Shasta

Took my buddy janzalo to Shasta.
Turned into a Search and Rescue.

Cell phones don't work.
We tried all night to find him.
Had him on cell for a few minutes at a time.
Finally had to call the search off.
'Till next morning.

He popped out of a rednecks truck the next morning...
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1641

Lucky Bastard!
Read more : S&R on Shasta | Views : 1009 | Replies : 1 | Forum : California

Soooo Flat.

Heck, now that the wise ones have removed PnP from SP, I figured I would jump into the regional boards so I could get to know some of you-all.

My name is Guy Keesee, I climb rocks, sometimes.

I have a question for all of you.

Is the world really flat?

later, :wink:
Read more : Soooo Flat. | Views : 4380 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Help find missing mountaineering mittens

Dear hikers -

I was hiking on the Willey mountain range from the Crawford Notch State Park on Saturday Jan 9 2010. The trail head begins from that railway station. At the end of the hike I might have dropped my "Outdoor Research Endeavor" mittens. If any of you find it could you please let me know? The mittens look like this:

http://media.rei.com/media/yy/4a87ab4f- ... e02079.jpg

I would really appreciate ...

WTB: Marmot Mica, Arcteryx Alpha SL, OR Zealot, Houdini etc

Looking for lightweight alpine climbing shell... mostly climb in softshell/driclime but it would be nice to have a better shell for when it gets a litle nasty. Looking for size Medium mens.

Send me your offerings!
Read more : WTB: Marmot Mica, Arcteryx Alpha SL, OR Zealot, Houdini etc | Views : 2587 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Gear

Colorado Springs Trails map for Garmin GPS

Hi

I run a website that covers trails in Colorado Springs - descriptions, photos, maps etc.

I just launched a new feature, an actual map that you can download
and install on your Garmin GPS. It will display trails as tracks on
top of your existing map.

This is a one man project so I would really appreciate if you
want to give it a try and let me know what you think. Ideas for ...
Read more : Colorado Springs Trails map for Garmin GPS | Views : 2469 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Colorado

Impossible Top Rope

Things do change in climbing as the years blow by. One of the more frustrating things I encounter when I go to popular climbing places is “Top Ropes”. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. As long as the top ropers are willing to let me pull their junk aside so I can lead the sucker.

Most folks are pretty accommodating and that is just great.

I am always willing to wait my turn while the other ...
Read more : Impossible Top Rope | Views : 16096 | Replies : 62 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136498