Photography-Oriented Trip to Sky Haven - Who Wants In?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
PellucidWombat

Photography-Oriented Trip to Sky Haven - Who Wants In?

by PellucidWombat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey SPers,

Sky Haven provides some very nice views of the Palisades, and I want to camp on the summit to photograph the view at sunset, nighttime, and sunrise. The 2nd day I may see if I can traverse over to Cloudripper for fun.

Is anyone from the Bay Area interested? I don't have a car, so I either need to share a ride or a car rental.

Trip timing would either be this Thursday night through Sunday, or April 2-4 (leaving Thursday night)

[url=https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2cQbm09AyrwNmJlYTlhNTktOTJjZC00NWY3LWFiMTgtMDg5MjhjZjMzNzc4&sort=name&layout=list&num=50]Here is a view of the Palisades from the summit, as seen in Google Earth.
[/url]

Maps and a Google earth file can be found here.

- Mark

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

I wouldn't be able to make it that weekend, but sounds like a fun trip Mark.

Please post some photos after you guys go - looks like it should be a great spot for some beauties ;-)

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:39 pm

That ridge (I didn't realize it had a name) had been circled on my map for several years before I made the trip. This was my favorite angle from along the ridge:

The view from the same spot to the north of Thunder and Lightning Lake isn't bad either:

Yes, it is worth the small extra effort to get up on the Cloudripper ridge:

Have a good hike, wish I could join you.

Return to California