Which all around ice tools to get?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Which all around ice tools to get?

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm

So, my wife has decided to start ice climbing again and since I gave away my ice tools and have been using hers the last couple of years that means I need a new pair. I have narrowed down my choices to the Black Diamond Viper and the new version of the Petzl Quark.

I will use the tools for winter alpine and mixed climbing and frozen waterfalls and am considering trying the leashless thing. (I have used various leashless tools for dry tool cragging, but never in the alpine or on waterfall routes).

What say the peanut gallery? Quark or Viper.

Thanks for you considered opinions.

EB

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Probably won't get a lot of first hand experience with the new Quarks. I'd vote for the BDs because of this. Real happy the Quark got a facelift this year because it was surely due.

Don't even think about buying leashes with either tool. Get on the bandwagon! You'll be a better climber because of it.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm

The new Vipers are very good tools. It's possible the Quarks are better in some ways, but the Viper is truly exceptional, especially for the money. They are better than my last-gen Cobras in every way, for steep or alpine, and those Cobras put up some sick routes in more skilled hands.

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Swing them, try them. I dislike the Quarks (too thick shaft, weird balance, no tooless pick-exchange system), like the Vipers, and prefer as allrounder the Simond Anacondas over both of them; I also really liked the feel of the the Nomics for steep ice.
Now this does not mean that the Quarks are bad, they are just bad for me. So...try.

bird

by bird » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm very happy with my Quarks. And they are pretty old. The new ones look sweet.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

I went with the Vipers, purely because I found them on sale for $90.00 less than retail. Thanks for the input.

Return to Gear