Pine Tree Eliminate

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.06000°N / 71.17°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ed Webster's guide to the Eastern Whites describes the route as a "nemesis to some climbers" as the route is thought by some to be fairly stout for the grade. It is very interesting route that adds plenty of spice as an add-on after the finish of routes like Thin Air and Standard Route. The route will throw you into some situations that seem challenging at the very least for the grade given. However, don't let that fact dissuade you from trying this route! It is certainly a ton more fun that just walking off to the right...

Getting There

To access this route, you will need to climb Thin Air or Standard Route to get to the Thin Air Ledge.

From the parking lot at the base of Cathedral, head towards the trailhead to the RIGHT of the one leading to the Prow. You are looking for the signs directing you to the Thin Air Face. A short jaunt through the woods will bring you to a large boulder pile with a weakness through which you can easily pass. When you hit the smooth wall of the cliff ahead of you (the infamous Mordor Wall, a classic aid line that Jim Surrette freed most of in 1986), turn left towards a steep hill. Climb broken ground past the start of Standard Route. You can climb Standard Route or Thin Air, which is about 25 ft. uphill from Standard Route.

If you elect to climb Thin Air, both the regular and direct starts will be halfway between Standard Route (downhill) and the start to Still in Saigon (uphill).

Route Description

Rapping Pine Tree Eliminate
Cleaning My Own  Room
Start: Link-Up on Thin Air or Standard Route, both classic routes in and of themselves.

Pitch 1: Start up the second crack to the right of the dirty, scrambl-y gulley that marks the end of Thin Air (the first is Airation, a sharp, 5.11 finger crack!).

Climb the fairly wide base of the crack using friction on the subtle slabby features adjacent to the wide section of the crack down low. Climb up until you hit the first bulge. Jam your way through the first bulge, after which the angle eases back only slightly unti you hit the second and final bulge. Jam through that feature until you pull above onto slabby terrain. From here, a long tree root follows the crack all the way to a tree that marks the end of the route. (~85 ft., thought-provoking 5.8+).

NOTE: Webster's guidebook for the Eastern Whites, says Pine Tree Eliminate is about 120 ft. long, but it is actually less than that, as a 60m rope will be enough to rap/top rope.

Decide for yourself if your ethics will allow you to use the root or reach awkwardly behind it to access the rock.

You can throw an anchor around the tree at the top for a top rope anchor. One 60m rope can do the job--useful for running laps or cleaning your own route.

Essential Gear

60m rope
Nuts
Cams to 2" (Can double up on .75s and 1s if necessary)
Helmet
Your standard rack accoutrements

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.