Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 46.63884°N / 114.86141°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6715 ft / 2047 m

Rhodes Peak Trailhead

From Lolo, MT, drive west on Hwy 12 toward the Powell Ranger Station which is about 12 miles beyond Lolo Pass. Just before reaching the Ranger Station, look for FR 569 (Parachute Hill Road) on your right (north). If you reach the turnoff for the ranger station and the Lochsa Campground, you missed it and have gone too far.

Turn onto FR 569 and follow it for about 7 miles to Papoose Saddle where you will come to a 4-way intersection.

Proceed straight ahead (west) onto FR 500 (currently marked as the Lewis & Clark Speedway). This road is rough in places and narrow with few turnouts.

Follow FR 500 for approximately 12 miles, and, at Cayuse Junction, turn right onto FR 581.

Continue for another 7.25 miles to a saddle at 6,715 feet.

If you’re driving a low-clearance 2-wheel drive vehicle, this is where you should park. With a high-clearance 4-wheel drive it is possible to continue for another mile to the top of Blacklead Mountain before parking.

It takes approximately one and a half hours to get to this point in a 4WD vehicle, roughly 27 miles after leaving US 12.

External Links

For information about the climbers' route accessed from this trailhead, see the link included in the picture's description.
Bob Bolton (left) and Dean...The final approach to the summit of Rhodes Peak.