San Tan Mountain Regional Park

San Tan Mountain Regional Park

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 33.16766°N / 111.63564°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2539 ft / 774 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The San Tans are a small mountain range that rises to the southeast of Phoenix, Arizona. San tan Mountain Regional Park preserves a portion of these mountains 10 000 acres large. A network of trails crisscrosses the park providing opportunities for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. The park is more likely to appeal to hikers than mountain climbers. Hiking outside the established trails is not allowed. This means that you can not reach the summit of any of the peaks inside the park. If you plan to do so, please contact the park.

The highest point in the San Tan Mountains sits outside the park boundaries and is 3104 ft high. A look at the map reveals that the park consists of a 1500 ft high plain with 3 distinct mountain groups rising above the plain: Goldmine Mountain to the north, Malpais Hills to the south and the nameless central highlands. The mountains rise no more than 1000 vertical ft above the plain. The highest point inside the park is Point 2539 ft in the Malpais Hills.







MapMap of the park


Getting There

Main park entrance and visitor center are located at 6533 W. Phillips Road, Queen Creek, AZ 85242.







San Tan Mountains


Red Tape, External Links, Weather

For all rules and regulations see the official park site: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/santan/.


For current weather click here.


For weather averages in nearby Phoenix, Arizona click here.

Pictures

Goldmine Mountain













Point 2374 ft
Goldmine Mountain
Goldmine Mountain
Goldmine Mountain
Near Goldmine Mountain
Very steep trailSteep Trail
Trail high point on Goldmine Mountain




Nameless Central Mountains







Nameless mountains in the center of the park
Nameless mountains in the center of the park
Nameless mountains in the center of the park




Malpais Hills















Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills
Rock PeakRock Peak
Malpais Hills
Malpais Hills




Western Peaks Outside the Park Boundary













Mountains outside the park
Point 3104 ft
Point 3104 ft (outside the park)
Point 3104 ft (outside the park)
Point 3104 ft (outside the park)
Mountains outside the park boundary




View of Superstition Mountains





Superstition Ridgeline and Four Peaks





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.