Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 37.98274°N / 110.37814°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

2A II

This is a nice little canyon in a rarely visited spot along the Dirty Devil River in southeast Utah. It is about an hour from Hite Marina of Lake Powell/Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. There are a couple down-climbs of 10' or so, but no technical gear other than maybe a short handline is necessary. TH to TH time at a relaxed pace is 3 - 5 hours, depending on approach ( west side TH takes longer ). The drive in is along a 2 track that will require high clearance and maybe 4 wheel drive in a spot or 2. It curves along, paralleling the Dirty Devil River, either west or east side, for about 8 miles on a bench above it and takes about an hour or a little over. The east side road is in worse shape and you'll be steamrolling over brush in between the 2 tracks the whole way. Views are great and hiking opportunities are wherever you want them along the way. Camping opportunities abound as well and you will definitely have it all to yourself I am sure. I do not think many people take the time to visit.

Getting There

For the east side road -
Just north of the Colorado River bridge ( and south of the Dirty Devil River bridge ) you will notice a faint 2 track beginning near the point of a mesa that juts out towards the road that leads to a gate very near the paved hiway 95. Go thru the gate, closing it behind you, and follow the rough hi-clearance 2 track ( maybe 4wd in a spot or 2 or 3 ) until it begins to drop down towards the Dirty Devil River ~8 miles later. Park above the Dirty Devil River on level ground or find a spot nearby to camp if you want.

For the west side road -
Just north of the Dirty Devil River bridge you will notice a faint 2 track starting northward. Take it, passing over a cattle guard in about 100m, and follow as far to its end as comfortable. This hi-clearance road is in better shape, but still rough in places and may require 4wd in a spot or 3.

Scar Tissue - access roads
Scar Tissue access roads

camping

There are campsites along hiway 95 on the west side of the Dirty Devil River w/ a toilet or 2. There is also camping at Hite marina I believe. According to the NPS - "There are currently no water-based facilities at Hite. Small boats are being launched at Hite, however, boat launching is still at your own risk. There is a land-based pay-at-the-pump gas station and a small convenience store that is open intermittently. There is a ranger station at Hite that is also staffed intermittently." Also check here for regulations regarding Glen Canyon and Lake Powell. Camping abounds along either the east or west side roads along the Dirty Devil River

route

From the east TH simply head towards the canyon and follow it as far up as you want, then get in and enjoy the ride back down. There is an entry/exit point just up canyon from the mouth, or you can do some minor bushwhacking thru tamarisk to find a way out from along the banks of the Dirty Devil River. Or wade down river (muddy, slippery) until you get back to the road or see a point to exit thru the tamarisk.

From the west side TH find your way down to the Dirty Devil river wherever you want, and follow up to Scar Tissue mouth. Or cross it and do some bushwhacking on land until you can get on the bench above.

Scar Tissue - TH
Scar Tissue TH's


Scar Tissue
Scar Tissue


Scar Tissue
Scar Tissue


Scar Tissue
Scar Tissue


Scar Tissue
Scar Tissue

External Links

glen canyon national recreation area

dirty devil river