Sentier des Névés

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.04870°N / 7.01900°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Schwalbennest and Wormspel combs give shelter to the last remaining snow fields in the Vosges. This hike permits to seen them from near and also the chamois which live here.

Approach


Start point is Gaschney.

From Colmar, D 417 to Munster. Take then left D 10 to Muhlbach and right D 310 to Gaschney.
Large car park

Route Description


GASCHNEY - SCHIESSROTH FARM - SCHIESSROTHRIED LAKE - WORMSPEL - SENTIER DES NEVES - KASTELBERG FARM - KERBHOLTZ - SCHIESSROTHRIED (direct or over FISCHBOEDLE) - MOHRENLOCH - GASCHNEY (5 h)

Behind the chairlift, take the GR 5 to the farm of Schiessroth. From here the views are fantastic over the combs of Schwalbennest and Wormspel. Beneath the farm, take the path which leads down to the Schiessrothried lake. Cross the dam.
Follow the blue rectangle marks and at the first cross take right the path marked with blue triangles. You arrive in the wild Wormspel, the high valley of the former Wormsa Glacier. The scenery is quite alpine. Between Spitzkoepfe on the left and Hohneck on the right you arrive on the Wormspel collar (snow in spring). From here the summit of the Hohneck is at a distance of 10 minutes on the right. After having gazed at the large summit panorama, come back to the collar and follow the crest in southern direction.
The path is called "Sentier des Névés", path of the snowfields which remain here in summer (till august). This path has then a special charm (yellow cross marks). At the Kastelberg farm take left along the blue rectangle marks to Kerbholtz (farmer hut). From here you can contemplate the Hohneck and the rocks of the Spitzkoepfe.
You have then two possibilities :
- follow the blue crosses steep down to the Fischboedle Lake. From the lake a path leads up back to the Schiessrothried Lake.
- take at the left the path direction Schiessroth (blue rectangles). This path crosses the Wormsa forest and the Ammeltal; the country is wild, and the path steep; the most difficult passages are securised with cables. You arrive at the basis of the Spitzkoepfe after crossing a big moraine. Pass quickly the fissure of the third Spitzkopf (danger of stonefall). On the right you can climb on the top of the first Spitzkopf (beautiful view on the Fischboedele lake). Follow then the path to the Schiessrothried.
You can then walk back to the Gaschney with the easy GR 531 (blue rectangles).

Essential Gear


Crampons in spring when the high Wormspel is snow covered.

Huts


- Kastelberg farm-inn
- Schiessroth farm-inn


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

VosgesRoutes
 
HohneckRoutes