Backpacking in Time

Backpacking in Time

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Introduction

I started backpacking in 1963 against my will so to speak when the resident camp I attended outfitted us in wooden frame packs as shown in this album and hiked us off for three days and two nights into the rural western Virginian mountains. It was extremely uncomfortable in the July heat and the pack did not fit my 5'8" frame. But I tried backpacking again and grew to prefer it over any other type of outdoor activity for many years.

Backpacking took me to the Appalachian Trail in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, North Carolina, and the entire AT in the state of New Jersey. I also crossed the beautiful Delaware Water Gap from side to side as you'll see a little bit below. I backpacked on the Loyalsock Trail in PA and so many lovely side trails of the AT I've lost count over the 40+ years.

I carried my pack with me along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, on Isle Royale in Michigan, to Dolly Sods in West Virginia, to the Rockies in Colorado twice, with me on portages on canoe trips in Maine and took it nowhere, for weeks at a time as an adult at Boy Scout summer camp. The longest I lived out of a backpack was for 23 days when I went to Outward Bound in North Carolina in 1980. So I guess this album is my mini-salute to places I've backpacked in times past!


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Afzal

Afzal - May 14, 2011 9:18 am - Voted 10/10

treasure of sweet old memories

You treasure sweet old memories in this album. Thank you very much Kathy! for creating such beautiful album.
Best regards, Afzal

silversummit

silversummit - May 14, 2011 6:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: treasure of sweet old memories

Thank you! I realized as I created this album that I was saying both hello and goodbye to some wonderful memories and places!

Cheers to you also!

myrone

myrone - May 16, 2011 4:25 pm - Voted 10/10

The hits keep coming

Another job well done.........

silversummit

silversummit - May 16, 2011 6:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The hits keep coming

Well thank you! I wasn't sure how this album would be received but it seems to have hit a soft spot. Again, thank you!

xpda

xpda - Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm - Voted 10/10

1973 Hike

I like this album! It reminds me of my 1973 hike down the John Muir trail, 3 weeks, 200+ miles, and one food cache. I haven't put an album on Summitpost yet, but there are some photos here:

http://xpda.com/hike/

silversummit

silversummit - Aug 16, 2011 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 1973 Hike

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Three weeks and 200 miles - Wow! You just put it on SP just so some others like me can enjoy it!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.