A fantastic spot in the Pennine Alps: the Grand Mountet!

A fantastic spot in the Pennine Alps: the Grand Mountet!

Page Type Page Type: Album

The Cabane du Grand Mountet (2886m)...

...in which I spent the night from July 15th to July 16th, 2011, after going up it along the normal trail leading from the village of Zinal high up above the Glacier de Zinal (this trail was only constructed by the Swiss military in 1986. Before that, one had to cross the Glacier de Zinal after walking along the long moraine crest behind Petit Mountet), which takes approximately five hours, this hut is situated in one of Switzerland's most spectacular spots, above an arena of several of the most important peaks of the Pennine Alps surrounding two big glaciers, the Glacier de Durand and the Glacier du Grand Cornier. An unforgettable place in which I had the luck of witnessing a breathtaking evening, a magical full moon night and a fantastic early morning before heading back down to Zinal the same way as I came up.

Nota bene: I couldn't find any appropriate external links to add to the page, concerning the Mountet hut, because, to my surprise, none of them mention the trail I went up, which is a mere hike. One still only finds the old route indicated, the one I mentioned above in parenthesis...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-14 of 14
PAROFES

PAROFES - Jul 18, 2011 8:35 am - Voted 10/10

New albums today

You and I hehehe
Outstanding shots Eric as usual.
Cheers
Paulo

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: New albums today

Thanks Paulo! I'm going to check your new album out now! :-)
Cheers,
Eric

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Jul 18, 2011 8:40 am - Voted 10/10

....

Nice album Eric, i like those alpinenglow images.

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 18, 2011 8:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: ....

Thanks a lot! You put up some nice pics today as well!

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jul 18, 2011 9:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Great collection

of shots Eric! What a marvelous place to spend the night.

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 19, 2011 3:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great collection

Thanks a lot, Windsor! The place is fantastic, and so was that full moon night with the glaciers all illuminated! It's just too bad I didn't have the tools to make successful photos of that - would have loved to have you there to help me! :-)
Cheers,
Eric

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jul 19, 2011 12:49 am - Voted 10/10

One of the best...

albums ever. Just fantastic.

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 19, 2011 3:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: One of the best...

Thanks so much, Marc! I was already starting to get a bit frustrated - was wondering whether I'd have any more opportunity this year to go to a place like that...Actually, it's fate that brought me to the Grand Mountet. Of course I had planned on visiting Zinal after five days of professional activity in Gstaad, but it was the other hut, the Cabane de Tracuit (no photo of mine I'm linking to...sorry :D) I had set my eyes upon. But as the indications were rather poor in Zinal, I missed the correct trail by following the Zinal valley to the very end instead of going straight up the eastern slope right from the village. This having become obvious, and as I didn't feel like marching back over a mile for nothing, I decided to do Mountet instead, of which I already knew that it's a fantastic spot as well.
There's still more coming - I still have to make another selection from the something like 400 photos I took! :D
Cheers, Marc, and I like very much the pictures you posted recently,
Eric

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - Jul 19, 2011 4:46 am - Voted 10/10

Fantastic

Fantastic album Eric! All photos in it are beautiful...best album I have seen in a while.
Lodewijk

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 19, 2011 6:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic

Thanks so much Lodewijk! This is a big compliment, coming from as first-class a photographer as you!
Cheers,
Eric

KoenVl

KoenVl - Jul 24, 2011 7:57 am - Voted 10/10

It surely looks like a...

fantastic spot! What a great photo's! I would love to go there, it looks simply marvelous!
Thanks for uploading them!
Cheers,
Koen.

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: It surely looks like a...

Thanks very much for your comment, Koen! It is truly a great spot and also the base for quite a few of the great peaks of the Walliser Alpen! I feel so lucky to have been there in such fantastic weather and, now that I know Zinal, I want to go back there - there's also Cabane de Tracuit and Cabane de Moiry to discover...
Cheers,
Eric

markhallam

markhallam - Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am - Voted 10/10

Heaven on earth!

As you say, a fantastic place to spend the night - and naturally you captured it beautifully on your camera. I know all the mountains well, but from the other side. Looks as if all the climbs would be pretty serious this side - and I'd guess your Mountet Hut a fairly quiet place, without a warden?
I'll keep a look out for your next photos - Pennine Alps are my favourite mountain range.
Cheers, Mark

EricChu

EricChu - Aug 24, 2011 7:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Heaven on earth!

Thanks very much for your comment, Mark! Yes, the routes to all the peaks one sees there are technically quite demanding, I'm pretty certain about that! Zinal, even though well known among mountaineers, is a lot less "parade" than Zermatt on the other side of Zinalrothorn and Obergabelhorn, and for that reason the nature has been left far more intact than around Zermatt. This also makes it special. The Cabane du Grand Mountet, nevertheless, is a hut with a warden, where also meals are served and about 50 people can sleep. But luckily it is a quiet spot, yes!
Thanks so much for your appreciation - I will certainly be posting more later on, also of the two recent mountain hikes I did in Austria, the Ankogel and the Larmkogel!
Cheers, Mark,
Eric

Viewing: 1-14 of 14


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.