Bovinae (Bovines), mostly bison and yaks

Bovinae (Bovines), mostly bison and yaks

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Wildlife

Bovines, No Bull !

This album is dedicated to those masterful masticators, wild bovines. The Bovinae are a subfamily of the family Bovidae, which includes duikers, antelopes, gazelles, and sheep and goats.

We don’t want those other animals here – just the cows and their friends. Wild sheep, mountain goats and probably others already have their SP pages.

What’s a bovine? Well, there’s the Bos (cow) tribe, with all those cow-like mammals around the world – Bantengs, Gaurs, Yaks, and Kouprey. If you have pictures of these, let us see them! Please don’t post domestic cows, which have their own album.

There’s also the Bovini tribe, which are mostly wild things that aren’t quite so cow-like: Anoas, Water Buffaloes, African Buffalo, American Bisons and Wisents (European Bison). Kting Voars and Saolas also belong here but I have no idea what they are. Let's see those bisons and wisents!

Finally are the tribes Boselaphini (Four-horned Antelope and Nilgai), Strepsicerotini (Sitatunga, Nyalas, Bushbucks, Kudus, Bongos and Elands). Those seem more antelope-like to me, but I’m not a biologist so what do I know? Despite their name, Muskoxen do not belong here.

Realistically, this album is going to be filled with bison from Yellowstone, the Black Hills, and perhaps a few other places. We also have quite a few yaks from SPers on Himalayan treks. But I’d love to see wisents and some of the more unusual species listed above. Let's see what you have.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Yea...

Think I found a place for my Gemsboks of Arizona! They were
introduced from Africa, and go under the Family Bovidae.
They are actually antelopes; but live with zebras and gazelles.
They can weigh up to 450 pounds, and don't move as fast as
other antelopes. That's why they have the killer horns.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Feb 16, 2008 9:20 am - Hasn't voted

gemsboks

Why don't you make an antelope page? I'm guessing that the Kili crowd has posted pictures of other species.

I have a pronghorn antelope page but that is (ahem) a horse of a different color. Sui generis.

Bruno

Bruno - Oct 9, 2008 9:43 am - Voted 10/10

Yak Yak Yak...

Interesting album, but all the yaks posted here should be removed if we stick to your introduction: this album is dedicated to [...] wild bovines.

Wild yaks are extremely rare outside the northern part of the Tibetan plateau, and all yaks featured in the album as domestic ones. So I would suggest two options:

a) remove the word "wild" from your description, so that we can post common yaks without hesitation, or

b) rename the album "wild Bovinae (Bovines)", remove all domestic yaks, and create a new "yak" album...

Cheers,
Bruno

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yak Yak Yak...

Good point, but I'd have to figure out how to copy the page with all the attachments. Doing it manually would take a while but I may do that.

Do you want the yaks? If you create a yak album, I'll remove them from this one.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4