Pikas and Other Lagomorphs

Pikas and Other Lagomorphs

Page Type Page Type: Album

Please post your Pika, Rabbit and Hare photos here.

Since the Marmots have their own album I thought I was high time to create one for the Lagomorphs.

The Lagomorphs are an order of mammals consisting of two families:
Leporidae (hares and rabbits), and Ochotonidae (pikas).


Pikas are native to cold climates. They live in some of the most beautiful and rugged mountains of Asia, North America and parts of eastern Europe.
They are very vocal using both call and song vocalizations. The call is used to warn other pikas of a predator or an intruder and it sounds a little like the bleat of a goat.
They are active throughout the day gathering fresh grasses and flowers, which they lay in stacks to dry. When the stacks have dried out, Pikas move them into their burrows.
Since Pikas do not hibernate, it is that hay that keeps them fed and warm throughout the winter months.
Pikas mate about one month before the snow starts to melt. Mating season typically runs from late April to early July. The female gives birth to two to four babies in the spring. The babies are weaned in about three to four weeks. The babies will leave their mother after four weeks and are adult size in about three months.

Rabbits and Hares are very shy compared to the pikas. Rabbits live in groups and Hares live alone with the exception of the breeding season. Rabbits live in burrows and Hares live above groud concealing themselves in shallow depressions. Baby Rabbits are born naked and blind. Baby Hares are born fully furred with their eyes open and the ability to run around right away.
Both Rabbits and Hares feed on vegatation. They are active mostly at night, but can often be spotted early in the morning and at dusk.

External Links

All About Pikas

Colorado Division of Wildlife Article on American Pika

Distribution of American Pika in Canada



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Feb 7, 2007 1:09 am - Voted 10/10

great idea

When I saw the title, I knew I had to take a "pika" these pictures. (Groan.)

They're cuties -- but I'm amazed any of them slow down long enough for a picture!

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Feb 7, 2007 2:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great idea

They are just too cute not to have their own album. I like them as much as the marmots.
I think they find meeting hikers entertaining and make sounds not just to warn each other of danger, but also to attract our attention.

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - May 22, 2007 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

I like those pictures also.

Cool pictures I always enjoying seeing Pikas. After some alpine climbs I hang around long enough to watch the Pikas for a while until the lightning starts to come my way I have been struck twice so it makes me nervous to see the clouds move in.

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - May 22, 2007 11:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I like those pictures also.

Thank you for the visit to Pika Album and I'm glad that you are OK. Lightning makes me nervous too.
The most pikas I ever saw in one day was on the slopes of Mount Bross. It was great.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 10, 2007 1:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Pikas.

I've read that the pika is going to be the first mammal to go extinct out west due to global warming.

Yes, they are indescribably cute. Will be sad to see them go away forever.

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jun 11, 2007 1:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Pikas.

Yes, I have read about that also. It would be hard to see them go, but I hope the worst case scenario will not happen. Animals often have an amazing ability to adapt, evolve and prevail.
I hope they make it.
Thanks for your visit to the Pika Album.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 12, 2008 12:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice collection!

It didn't have a picture of a snowshoe hare in a winter forest, so I added one :)

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Mar 12, 2008 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice collection!

Very cute :) Thanks for adding it. He blends in so well. Nice capture.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8