Cabane des Dix

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Additional Information Elevation: 9606 ft / 2928 m

How to get there

The Cabane des Dix (2928m) is located near the end of the Val des Dix, behind the Lac des Dix. It is situated on a little hill amidst a great mountain scenery, with Mont Blanc de Cheilon dominating the mountain scene.

To get to the hut there are different possible acces routes. The two main routes are from Arolla (2000m, Val d'Hérens) via Pas de Chèvres (2855m) to the hut, or from the Barrage de Dixence and the Lac des Dix (Val d'Hérémence). (maps: 1346: Chanrion (1/25000) or 283 Arolla (1/50000))

The first route starts in Arolla at 2000m and goes to Pas des Chèvres at 2855m or to the Col de Riedmatten (2919m). Only from Pas de Chèvres or from Col de Riedmatten one can see the Hut. 2-3 hours to this point. When going via Pas de Chèvres (as most people do) one has to descend to the Glacier de Cheilon via its famous stairs. 25 vertical meters are thus descended (specially when heavily packed or in bad weather it is safer to descend them secured as one slip can be fatal). A little bit further the path from the Col de Riedmatten (which one can take instead of the Pas de Chèvres) joins the path to the hut. This way is however not recommended as for the big danger of falling rocks while descending from the Col to the Glacier.
After reaching the Glacier there's still about one hour to go to the hut. The last part crosses (the remaining of) the Glacier de Cheilon. Finally there's one last steep bit before one reaches the Cabane de Dix.
In total one can count on 3h30 to 4h30 from Arolla to the Hut.

 
Cabane des Dix
Cabane des Dix from Pas de Chèvres


The second main acces route commence at the Barrage de Dixence (2365m). The path follows the Lac des Dix untill the end, passing the little hamlet La Barma.
At the end of the lake you have to go over the Pas du Chat (2372m) after which you have to follow the left bank of the Glacier de Cheilon (not crossing the glacier). Finally you go round Tête Noir (a little peak behind the hut at 2981m) before arriving at the hut after about 4h-4h30.

Other possible acces routes are from the Cabane de Chanrion (2462m) over the Col de Tsofeiret (2628m), the Col de lire Rose (3115m), the Col du Mont Rouge (3326m), crossing de Glacier du Giétro, and finally over the Col de Cheilon (3237m).
Another route is from the Barrage du Mauvoisin (1976m), over the Col du Giétro (3107m), the Glacier du Giétro and the Col de Cheilon to the Cabane des Dix.
These routes are however high alpine routes and can't be made without the appropriate glacier equipment (crampons, piolet, rope,...).

Information about the hut

Open in summer as well as spring (tourskiing).
This year (2016) the hut is open from June 25th till october 1st.

120 places

Prices:

- 67 CHF, demi-pension (for members of an alpine club).
- 82 CHF, demi-pension (for non-members).

Winterroom: 16 places

Reservations have to be made:

Online reservations: http://www.alpenonline.ch/reservation/calendar?hut_id=10

Téléphone/Fax cabane : 0041(0)27.281.15.23
Téléphone privé gardien : +41 79 197 31 14

E-mail: info@cabanedesdix.ch (not for reservations)
E-mail Gardien: cabanedesdix@gmail.com

www.cabanedesdix.ch

Aiguille de la Tsa
view from the Cabane des Dix

Possible climbs and routes

From the hut there are several climbs possible.

The best known and most climbed are:

- La Luette: 3548m
 
La Luette
La Luette

- Mont Blanc de Cheilon: 3870m
 
Mont Blanc de Cheilon
Pigne d'Arolla and Mont Blanc de Cheilon

- Pigne d'Arolla: 3790m

Other possible climbs:

- Le Pleureur: 3703m
- La Sperpentine: 3713m
- La Ruinette: 3875m
- Mont Rouge du Giétro: 3439m
- Pointe de Pas de Chèvres: 2991m
- ...


Possible routes:

- to the Cabane des Vignettes (over the Pigne d'Arolla)(3160m)
- to the Cabane de Prafleuri (2657m)
- to the Cabane de Chanrion (2462m)
- to the Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges (2810m)

In spring the Cabane des Dix is a perfect spot for various skitouring trips/climbs (like the Pigne d'Arolla, La Luette or Mont Blanc de Cheilon).


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pennine AlpsHuts & Campgrounds