Grand Mountet Hut

Grand Mountet Hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 46.06004°N / 7.65336°E
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9468 ft / 2886 m

Overview

Cabane du (Grand) Mountet & Dent BlancheView of Dent Blanche from the hut
The Grand Mountet Hut (Cabane du Mountet) is found deep in the alpine world surrounded by glaciers and several 4000 meter peaks. It is situated below the Mammouth (3121m) on a rock bed above where the Mountet and the Zinal glaciers meet. The original hut is from 1887. It has been increased and rebuilt several times: 1919, 1943 and 1996. The large and well-frequented Grand Mountet Hut has room for 127 with a resident warden during the summer. In the winter season there is room for 50 people.

Getting there

View from Val d AnniviersLooking into the Zinal valley with Grand Cornier in front of Dent Blanche
Around the bendOn route from Zinal to the Mountet Hut you come around a bend and it opens up with the Arbengrat on Ober Gabelhorn in full view
Overall information on travel to Zinal is given on the high quality SP Val d'Anniviers page. Starting from Zinal going south on the east side of the Zinal glacier is a spectacular excursion with many big mountains to admire. First on the list is Grand Cornier (3962m) followed by Dent Blanche (4357m). Coming around the south-west ridge of Besso (3668m) the view opens up to the left with Mont Durant (3713m), Obergabelhorn (4063m), Wellenkuppe (3903m), Trifthorn (3728m) and finally Zinalrothorn (4221m). The walk to the hut from Zinal, taking 4½-5 hours, is an exciting tour in itself attracting many hikers.

Routes

Wellenkuppe and Obergabelhorn with the Mountet Hut in frontA sharp eye can see the hut in the foreground of the mighty Obergabelhorn
There are many alternative tours from the Grand Mountet Hut. The guide books should be consulted for details. Here are a few: Obergabelhorn (4063m). North-north-west ridge - Coeurgrat (AD, III, 1260m, 6 hours from the hut).North face (TD-, snow and ice to 55 degrees, 2½-4 hours for the face, 6 hours from the hut) Trifthorn (3728m). North-east ridge (snow, 2½-3 hours from the hut) Zinalrothorn (4221m). North ridge (AD, III+, 1400m, 5 hours from the hut, considered a superb climb)

Maps and Books

Mountet Hut
Val d'Anniviers : 1:25.000, Hiking Map Swiss Map: 1:25.000 Nr. 1327, Evolène Swindin, Les and Fleming, Peter: Valais Alps East, Selected Climbs, Alpine Club Guide Books, 1999 Goedeke, Richard: The Alpine 4000m Peaks by the Classic Routes, Diadem Books, London, 1991. Historical book: Les Cabanes, Du Club Alpine Suisse, No. 12 Constantia au Mountet, 1928

Google Maps


Show larger map

External links

Hut information Map and hut information

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pennine AlpsHuts & Campgrounds
 
ZinalrothornHuts & Campgrounds