Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.31000°N / 114.2°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Additional Information Elevation: 6714 ft / 2046 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This mountain in the southern Smoky Mountains is being added due to it's popularity with hikers. It looms 1400 feet above northern Hailey on the west and is skirted along it's eastern base by the Big Wood River. The eastern face is impressive though rarely, if ever, climbed due to it's rotten rock and the fact that one would have to ford the river to access it. The trail most often used is on the southern ridgeline and is a class 2 for the most part with stunning views of the valley and the river directly below. From the summit the view of the Pioneers and the Boulders is very nice indeed. Because of the ease of access this mountain is hiked by many and is a great place for locals to stay in shape as the southern flank is free of snow for most of the year.

Getting There

Hailey is 60 miles north of Twin Falls and 13 miles south of Ketchum/Sun Valley on Idaho 75. At the stop light in downtown, turn west onto Bullion St. After a 4 way stop you will see Hop Porter Park on your right and then cross the Big Wood River. A large parking area presents itself on your right. Go through the wooden fence and follow the obvious trail. This trail has many forks, all going uphill and all joining together below the concrete tanks about 100 yards up. From there the trail is quite obvious and gains around 1400 ft in about 1 mile. The first 2/3's is a class 2 that follows right along the edge of the drop off to the river and the last stretch is a pleasant uphill cake-walk to the summit.

Red Tape

This is a very special mtn to locals for it's awesome views and exceptional workout at all levels. There are no permits required but treat it as your own backyard (as it IS for us). Pack it in and out.

When To Climb

There are those who snowshoe this in the winter and if realitive solitude is your goal, this would be a good time. Spring and fall are best due to the southern exposure. Summer is fine if you don't mind the heat or get an early start. This hike takes about an average of 45 minutes to an hour up and half an hour down.

Camping

Camping is not needed as this one springs right up out of west Hailey.

Mountain Conditions

83333

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Smoky Mountains (ID)Mountains & Rocks