Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.74390°N / 114.67°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10138 ft / 3090 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Prairie Creek Peak is located in the Smoky Mountains of central Idaho.
Phi Kappa photo_id=188672

Prairie Creek Peak sits directly on the main crest and is just one of a handful of peaks in the Smoky Mountain standing above the ten-thousand foot barrier. It is an impressive peak that towers over many pristine mountain lakes.

The most attractive feature of Prairie Creek Peak is its north face, which rises 1,000' precipitously, while forming a perfect pyramid, above Prairie Lakes. Its less impressive east slopes form the backdrop to Big Lost Lake, while its jagged south extending ridgeline presents a bold face to the area near Smoky Lake.

Suprisingly few people make it to the summit of Prairie Creek Peak considering its proximity such popular hiking destinations. Perhaps it is because its relatively rugged appearence compared to most other Smoky Mountain Peaks. Or maybe few reach the peak because of access issues as it is either a time consuming class III scramble from the north or a 12 mile rountrip hike from the west. Either way, the peak is a worthy goal as views of the entire Smoky Range are outstanding from the summit.

Getting There


To access the Northeast Ridge Route from Ketchum, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for 16 miles to Baker Creek Road. Follow this improved dirt road south for 6 miles until reaching the turnoff that reads Norton and Prairie Lakes.

Follow this road for 2 miles to the trailhead for Norton Lakes and park. Passenger vehicles can make these last two miles.

Red Tape


No red tape or permits required.

Prairie Creek Road, as well as Norton and Baker Roads, are closed during winter.

A large herd of mountain goats roams the region in and around the peak, please keep your distance.

When To Climb


The mountain is usually climbed during the summer months. Avalanche danger and extreme isolation during winter would make an out of season ascent very difficult.

Camping


Camping is highly recommended at all lakes surrounding Prairie Creek Peak.

Two, well maintained campgrounds are located nearby. Baker Creek and Prairie Creek Campgrounds provide all usual services.

Mountain Conditions


Prairie Creek Peak, like many of the Smoky Mountain Peaks, is very remote and not located near any reporting weather stations. For a good idea of what to expect generally, these links provide excellent information.





  • Sawtooth Avalanche Center- Gives daily avalanche reports during winter.

  • Idaho Outdoors Forum- Frequent reports of local conditions and climbs in the area.

  • Sawtooth National Forest Website- Provides information on road closures, wildfires, and other current happenings in the area.




  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Smoky Mountains (ID)Mountains & Rocks